Final version: Two or three got posted while I tried to figure out where I was going with this...
Assuming you've got plugins enabled, and my bandwidth hasn't been eaten up, and the technological gods are smiling today, you're presently listening to "Hello, Vietnam". (Oh, stop whining...turn it off if you don't like it. I'll have to disable autoplay on it anyhow when I put up another post, and you'll actually have to punch the "play" button on it to make it work..that'll show ya...)
Wayne pointed the way to a large wad of Vietnam Era music on his blog, and this was one of the selections (no he doesn't give them away...I had to get it elsewhere).
This song, as always, clotted me up and got me snotting and blubbering and whatnot. In fact, my low tolerance for this particular song is the reason that it took several tries before I could watch the first 10 minutes or so of "Full Metal Jacket". How bizarro is that? Apparently deep memory gets triggered by odd stuff.
No, I wasn't getting shot at or jungle-rotted or any such drama when I heard it. Actually, believe it or not, this was the song on the car radio 30-odd years ago as I was arriving at the airport to embark on my tour of the magical wonderworld of Southeast Asia on the American Plan. In short, this was the background music to my life as it was sliding out of control and about to fetch up in a jungle in some third-world shithole.
My wife was there to see me off; she drove me to the airport, in fact. This takes on more import when you understand she'd actually only been my wife for 10 days, as we'd gotten married while I was on leave.
On top of that, we'd just found out in the previous 48 hours that she was already carrying our first child (we'd suspected, but decided to get married before we got the test so neither would ever wonder whether the other had felt "trapped"; exciting times all around).
So, since neither of us were bright enough to punch the "off" button in this high tension moment as we're rolling up to the terminal, the song you're listening to was playing. Understand, my life often seems to be scripted from a really bad daytime soap; the only odd thing here was that this time it in fact actually had a freakin' soundtrack.
Good-bye, my darling, Hello VietnamNo Hollywood hack would touch a scene so improbably maudlin. In the background the turbo-prop warming up on the runway (a VERY small local airport), my new teenaged bride, looking terribly, heartbreakingly young, decked out in a favorite dress she knew I liked, ripping my heart out, weeping even though she was biting her lip to near bleeding trying to put on a brave face, and clutching my arm so hard I had fingerprint bruises turning dark purple long after I was in-country.
A hill to take, a battle to be won;
Kiss me goodbye and write me while I'm gone
Good-bye, my sweetheart, Hello Vietnam.
And this fucking song stuck with me stronger than a Coca-Cola advertising jingle for at least three months. It seemed to always be in the back of my mind, every time I was standing in a shitstorm, every letter I got, the one phone call we got to make to each other the day my son was born (no internet and email in those days....)
Yeah, we're still married. After a kick-off like that, followed up by a year holding our breath waiting to see the end of the story, the rest of our life together didn't really seem all that complicated. Well, that and the fact that we really DO like each other...
Of course, the upside to this song is it gives me an excuse to consume large quantities of Jack Daniels, and remember a time when I was still hard as a coffin nail and new and studly and 10 feet tall and bulletproof, and a pretty girl in a summer dress standing alone in an airport lobby would weep for me and wait forever, like an old-time movie.
Vietnam Era peeps (including civilian weenies): Hit this site, but be prepared to waste an afternoon...
In Our Next Episode: I'm thinking maybe "Brand New Key" by Melanie -- yet another excuse to drink to excess. (The video with this one is a transfer from 8MM which was actually shot in the early 70's.) Who'da thought a song about inviting someone to a friendly fuck could be so annoying? See Rollergirl boffing Mark Wahlberg in "Boogie Nights" while this trinket plays in the background if you don't believe me...
Thanks for sharing this. It was beautiful and sad, all at once.
ReplyDeleteWeenie.
ReplyDeletethat was sweet. :)
ReplyDeleteThat was as good as the redhead pix. Well, almost.
ReplyDeleteDude - where did the redheads all go???
ReplyDelete;o)>
New poast, pls.
ReplyDeleteDude - Your ascerbic wit is sorely missed!!!
ReplyDeleteLook, it's the fucking NEW YEAR. Come out of that tent so I can put this spear through your heel, would you?
ReplyDeleteSeriously, man, I know this is the first comment I've ever put on your blog, but I do read it, or at least did, when you used to write shit on it, and I'd like to read some new shit, especially because most of the other blogs I read are written by, let's face it, women, even the ones written by men, and your blog has a certain masculinity that I just adore, and I mean that in a strictly heterosexual Viking sort of way, so would you please just fucking write something?
ReplyDelete