Meanwhile, I went running with a crew I hadn't seen in a long while a few nights ago and wound up in a POS little bar that perfectly suited the foul mood I was in. If it had been any more of a shithole, it would have had sawdust on the floor. There was a girl band there that reminded me quite a bit of L7, which is a band I haven't thought about in years. Always quite liked them before they did the usual punk band routine of switching around a bunch of members, then breaking up (they were actually more metal than punk. (Potaytoe/Potahtoe.)
They do remind me what an old fucker I am though. As I understand it, in most of the world, me liking these vicious little animals is pretty much illegal. It's for my own good. Actually laying into one of these would probably kill me. On the other hand, it probably would have back in the day, too.
Kinda FYI, I've started using a thinger called the Magic Spreadsheet (long story - motivational tool) and am therefore required to write even when the only thing I have going is homicidal vicious-bitch 90s punk bands and vicious-bitch moods. The way it works is that you get credit for actually making your writing quota (one point) or over (sliding scale of points up to four.)
But making the quota is only part of the story. You can only get four points in a day for quantity.
Their theory is that consistency is the key, the actual making you get off your ass and write part. So, you get one point for the first day, two points for the second day, three points for the third day, and so on up to 30. So, a point for writing, and 30 points for consistency, if you do it right, and it all drops back to single digits on the first day you fail to write -- if you break the chain (have a day you don't make your minimum) your consistency score drops back to zero, and you start over again. There are vastly more points available for consistency than for beating your minimums, so if you want the totally valueless Big Numbers, you have to stay on the game and write (and be a bit OCD,) even when you don't feel like it, even when you've nothing to say.
Will this work? (shrug) Who knows? So far so good.
Now, here's a question. When I write a real blog post and replace this one with it, did this one ever happen? Do I still keep my points? Well, I'm going to. I did the work. Even if this noise is all there is to show for it.
This is a real one. Don't fucking delete it.
ReplyDeleteI get a combo madz/sadz when people write stuff? And I read it and, like, connect with them? And maybe even comment? And then they hide it or delete it or whatever. Mad. Sad.
ReplyDeleteSo. What Don ^^ said.
Don't delete—if only to remind me that I need to do 600 words a day.
ReplyDeleteAny at all. I just did some, thankyouverymuch.
ReplyDeleteIn the mid-90s I went to see Nirvana. The people I was with, though, were "just here to hear The Breeders."
ReplyDeleteThat story was better before I remembered it was the Breeders, not L7 that my hipster friends were there to see. :-/
I don't think your content sucks. I just didn't know this blog was here.
ReplyDelete