| My Archive, Storage Area #1 |
I'm thinking about instituting a sub-genre on this blog for a certain class of my fictional crapola. All of them will have the label “BURN PILE”. Yet to be determined is whether I ever actually get around to putting any up since by tomorrow when the Irish has worn off this may well seem a perfectly shit idea.
If I do, they are all the purest fiction. I’m making it all up. If the question comes up whether what I’m writing is happening or has happened, the answer is “no”, so just relax, OK? And, incidental to that, if you’re trying to sort out a chronology, you can’t, because:
A. I’m not bashful about time-shifting stories where needed, or sometimes even when not; and,
B. IT’S FICTION. Like everything in this entry and probably upwards of 90% of this entire blog, for example.
I’m lately revisiting a lot of my life via decades of paper and notebooks and whatnot. Most are literally on their way to the burn pile. There are a lot of stories in there. And a lot of them will die with me for a variety of statutory and personal reasons that I’m not going to get into.
So far, as I've noted in earlier posts, it’s been a pretty long life. As an incidental matter, I have hopes of it being a damned sight longer. But DAYUM does it accumulate a lot of junk.
I’ll be moving on to a brand-new, never-before-dunnit life-phase in the next year or so. All this junk is anchoring me more firmly to the past than I care to be anchored, especially considering that if something is in that pile, it’s usually something that I could probably live the rest of my life without ever seeing again, thanks.
There’s a lot, but only fragments are useful — or usable, as you will — for this media.
Isn’t it weird that we keep meticulous records of the bad on paper or data storage or in our heads, but there’s rarely a line written for the good, especially the ordinary good, the day-to-day stuff?
I suspect it’s because we all think that the good stuff won’t fade, and we don’t need to write it down or mentally bookmark it. Maybe it’s because we think that the good stuff should be our default and doesn’t need recorded — the bad stuff is the exception that requires documentation. Maybe people are just strange that way.
Whatever. It’s all going out. It’s gonna take time. Maybe months. Or maybe I’ll just get fed up with curating it and haul it out into the desert for a bonfire. The human-recorded part of history is boring, after all, consisting largely of scrawled grocery lists and call logs and illegible old dental appointments on long-expired calendars.
This is a good thing, as it means that we can ignore most of it and actually learn about the interesting parts of 150,000 years of humans in a few years instead of bogging down in the tedious gray sludge that makes up most of human history’s actual day-to-day activities.
If I do this, don’t expect neat, Hollywood-style stories. Most of my stories, although fictional (see above) lack any satisfying ending or moral lesson, or redemption, or…anything. Chaos is a valid description of life, after all, and my fictional life is all that.
I mean, picking a page at random from an early-2000s notebook, how do I make a story arc out of a gorgeous but viciously mercenary 22 year-old stripper who wound up killed when her nearly 60-year-old delusional white knight who'd lost nearly everything for her drove up next to her at the frontage road stoplight with a 12-gauge and blew her brains into the passenger seat? A true romance template, perhaps? And if so, where does her blood-splattered 2-year-old kid who slept through the whole thing strapped in his car-seat behind her fit into the formula? Anyone have any epiphanies here that lock in the moral of the story?
Naw. Check into your story-telling “how-to” books, your English Comp classes, your MFA program notes. You’ll find that you need to START there, then have a resolution. Or if that’s the ending, we have to have gotten there by taking a path wherein we or whoever is passing for protagonist learns something profound. But that’s not how it works. Waiting for the world to resolve itself, freeze frame, and go to commercial is like waiting for a happy ending in Squid Games. It ain’t happening.
So, read these turgid little nuggets or not, as you will. Maybe you can make something of them. This assumes, of course, that this still seems like an idea tomorrow or the next day or the next, and I ever get around to putting any up.
It's like music from the Sixties (excuse if my assumptions are far off): we all love one or two songs from a handful of bands but I doubt I could tolerate listening to, say, 12 hours straight of the playlist for any random day of any AM rock radio station from the era. You can only listen to Incense and Peppermint so many times. The movie American Graffiti was only tolerable because the writer took every interesting thing that happened during four years of high school and compressed it all into a single night. Which is essentially what we are all carrying around in the nostalgia cortex of our heads.
ReplyDeleteAdd to that this idea we all have that there is some symmetry and elegance to life--or should be--is just plain wrong wrong wrong. We're just DNA delivery systems and aside from that we're responsible for our own entertainment. It sounds depressing, to write it out like that but we're pretty good at it. Anyway, sometimes life is so fucked up it's funny.
Yup, DNA is relentless and cold-blooded. Some current thinking is that being smart enough to write blog entries and whatnot (including having a sense of self, navel gazing, and all that contemplative stuff) is a more-or-less unavoidable emergent side-effect of big brains, themselves the product of efficiently passing along DNA in the face our non-clawed, non-armored incompetence to otherwise survive.
DeleteIt's all best summarized by a guy I knew who was arguing with some tree-huggers about how we're fucking with gentle Mother Nature who's doing her best to nurture us and we should stop it.
"Bullshit," he said, "your 'loving' Mother Nature has literally only one job -- to find ways to kill you and make new stuff from your parts." Never forgot that...
There is a person I know who archives his life through daily emails. He writes out one basic email throughout the day, and it follows a format that includes what the day's weather had been like (and how that might have impacted him/them and his/their plans (I use the plural because he frequently includes whoever he is with as part of his story, usually his wife), and talks about the things he/they did, and then talks about news events he noticed. He'll edit the story for different people - adding endearments if it's being sent to a lover or family member, or adding some specific item for a close buddy. He then sends out these copies of this journal. He kills two birds, as it were, by maintaining a regular line of communication with people he cares about AND archiving/journaling his days.
ReplyDeleteYes, I am a recipient. Yes, they can be dreadfully mundane.
The part of him that tells himself he is king of his own universe imagines that one day some future descendant will rummage through that archive and be delighted to learn all of the ins and outs of great-great-great-great-great grandpappy's life. He's left a legacy.
Roy, we are indeed DNA delivery systems, or possibly viruses.
I started to reply to you, but as always it got out of hand. I get more expansive in comments sections (especially of other people's blogs) than I do in the actual writing part of mine. Anyhow I finally just turned it into a blog post (R-349 Afterlife).
DeleteWell I wrote out a reply but blogger.com ate it. What I was going to say was I can't believe I said "DNA delivery systems," but I guess everyone gets the idea, that being that the only requirement to earn a time slot on the planet is to successfully pass on your DNA for some duration, great or small. That being the case, viruses are decidedly evil, some of them at this moment fighting it out with my immune system. I will live--at least for today. Circle of life, hakuna matata and all that.
ReplyDeleteSo tell us a story so I can get in a better mood.
Sorry to hear you're feeling puny -- been there, done that, hate it.
Delete