Sunday, August 17, 2014

Week #31: Do-Over Turtle

Spent a couple of weeks on a reasonably fantastic vacation. I may write more about that as the mood moves me. We took the granddaughter with us, which could have been a disaster, but which turned out to be one of the better ideas we've had lately.

Anyhow, more on that another day, as I said.

When we got back the woman who was feeding the animals informed us that Tripod had come to eat for the first week, and then one morning was just gone.

I suspect that he was a victim of the "hungry bear" principle. That's the one in which if I'm with others and a hungry bear starts chasing us, we will shortly find that although it's quite impossible to outrun the bear all that's really needed is to outrun the slowest guy. Which Tripod doubtless would have been on whatever project he and the others were doing whenever some hungry whatever picked off the slowest one in the kitty herd.

So -- Vaya con Dios, ya busted up little furball. You gave it a run for the money. Or at least a high-speed hobble.

A couple of days later, I was out feeding the cats when this happened:


I showed the Beneficiary the picture. She said that maybe Tripod had come back in the form of a box turtle, or at least that maybe Tripod was part of the turtle. Now, as you may know, I am a total zero-believer in reincarnation-style and other "do-over" theories (as is she, really,) but I told her it actually seemed pretty possible. 

After all, I have in fact observed box turtles eating coyote shit.

The bruises are beginning to fade a bit.

1 comment:

  1. Um. Why bruises? Did you try to wrestle the coyote shit away from the turtle? I don't get it.

    Also: USE WORDPRESS BECAUSE I CAN'T COMMENT FROM MY PHONE.

    Other readers: don't you think he should move to wordpress?!?!?!?!?

    ReplyDelete

Well, Don't Just Sit There -- Say Something!