It seems that desert-based people have a clue how to deal with desert/dirt/sand-based issues.
A shemagh is basically a very large bandanna, about 1-meter square, 100% woven cotton, dyed in a variety of colors and finished with lots of tassels tying off the ends of the weave.The military specifically ordered us to stop wearing them because it wasn't an official part of the issued stuff and also risked offending -- someone? Jews? Arabs? -- someone.
Of course, we totally complied with these orders by wearing them every time we were out in the field away from the command staff. It was just far and away too useful to not. I mean, at the end of the day, it's just a square of woven cotton, right?
![]() |
| U.S. Special Forces Operator with Shemagh |
![]() |
| U.S. Convoy and Combat Operations with Shemagh |
In the (many) years since then, I'd completely forgotten about them other than to roll my eyes at them when I'd see some East-coast/New England hipster-doofus wearing the fugly things (they really are, especially when combined with skinny-jeans western fashion) as an oh-so-chic accessory and/or a half-assed "Pro-Palestine Anti-Israel" political statement. (Like, you know, total solidarity, bro.)
![]() |
| Millenial/Hipster Doofus Buttplugs with Shemaghs |
![]() |
| Burning Man with Shemaghs -- Thumbs Up! |
Anyhow, what brought all this on is that a couple of months ago, I saw them for sale in a tactical-equipment shop and, suddenly remembering their utility, I bought a couple. No Palestinian (black and white) or Arab (red and white) or Hamas (green and white) or Whatever colors -- just black on olive green and a muted blue on grey. After a couple of cold washes/air dryings to knock the unfixed dye and sizing off of them (Pakistani cotton dying is notoriously unstable, which problem loose-weaving the dyed cotton doesn't exactly improve) threw them into my motorcycle- and personal back-pack, and again promptly forgot about them.
Then, a couple of weeks ago, I was out riding and the weather went to shit. My own fault for not checking, but there you are. I was 100 miles from home, spitting rain coming and going, and a howling north wind carrying dust and crap up to about gravel size (it seemed). Felt like I was being peppered with sandy buckshot. So I pulled out into a rest area, dug into my pack and pulled out my handy shemagh. A quick double-wrap (how to tie it instantly came back to me) over my face and ears, and a pair of goggles, and I was golden. Rock and roll, baby. When I stopped for gas in some little town, the clerk was eying it. Laughed nervously and said I looked like a terrorist. His girlfriend (co-worker?) started nattering about "cultural appropriation" of Arab stuff.
I told 'em if they didn't like it, they could feel free to come take it from me. They both suddenly decided they were just trying to make conversation and didn't mean anything, and actually thought it was pretty cool.
Shrug. Don't care.
I don't believe in "cultural appropriation" for one thing, and wouldn't care a lick if I did. I'm pretty tired of people being offended whiny little bitches over every damned thing, if you know what I mean, and just don't give a shit anymore (if I ever did.)
Now, here's a thing -- since that day (haven't had occasion to wear one since) I've seen at least three hardcore bikers roaming around -- with shemaghs wrapped around their necks and stuffed down into the front of their leathers. Wonder if I started a trend? Hah! Me, on the leading edge... more likely some boys back from duty in The Sandbox who know the score. Just an odd coincidence, but struck me as funny.
![]() |
| Just This Guy, Y'know? |





I've had one for a few years. Use it only when I'm out on the Playa -- or a variation of that, including a product called "Buff" which is a stretchy tube of cloth, mostly cotton but with enough whatever to make it stretchy, that you can scrunch around or pull up around and over. It'll cover your entire head, or just your mouth and nostrils, or you can wear it like a sweat band at the crown of your head.
ReplyDeleteAs for cultural appropriation? Oh, honey! Every fucking culture since the dawn of donning coverings has made use of something like the shemagh! Bubushkas, cowboy bandanas ... name the culture and if they have wind and unruly weather, they have a way to deal with it that involves pulling something up over your face and head. Just because we call ourselves "Americans" these days doesn't mean we have to give up our forefathers' practices, nor are we obligated to avoid adopting the practices of people who do things that make sense. Fuck sake.
Yup, I'm a fan of the "Buff" line -- mostly use it in woods and forests, especially where there are creepy-crawlers. Their "bug-repellent" versions surprised the crap out of me by actually working. My tick and mosquito encounters dropped around 75%, and that's in some pretty deep Wisconsin summer-time woods. They work well enough that every year I buy enough to go around for all the kids and grandkids when we're out doing woodsy stuff -- they think they're the shit, and wear 'em practically 24/7, and THEIR bug encounters have fallen dramatically. I've always got a Buff in reaching distance -- but if you're talking heat/sand/dust/wind, the shemagh is the only way to go -- no anti-bug goop, but much more coverage and probably about a thousand percent more "breathable" while still keeping the particulates down to a minimum...
ReplyDelete