"Hey!" she yelled to me from another room in a complete non-sequitur to everything up till then, "did you drop a pill this morning?"
A bit of background: The other day while I was out of town, The Beneficiary called me and told me I'd gotten in a shipment of what Steve Martin called "the magic little blue pill for middle-aged men", except they're yellowish and not blue, and some time back when I mentioned it to the Doc he, for no apparent reason except for something to do with getting insurance to pay for practically all of it, sent in a prescription for a pickup-full of 'em. I forgot to mention it to her, and when she called me to tell me about receiving a big ol' surprise package, she sounded like she'd just won the lottery.
In short, she's a fan, as am I, although I note her enthusiasm for a product that she'll never take probably exceeds even mine. In any event, she was, as I say, down the hall inquiring as to whether I'd dropped one. It was pretty early in the day for that sort of thing, really, barely 9:00, but not unheard of. Frankly, it's been awhile since we spent an entire day off just chasing each other around, and it sounded like a damned fine idea to me. In fact, I wondered if we could…
My reverie was interrupted by her showing up at the office door, looking FINE, (she mostly looks all kinds of fine in any case, but this was doubtless enhanced by the aforementioned reverie).
"So," she asked, "did you drop one or not?"
"Nope," I answered, grinning, "but I'm damned sure going to."
"OK," she said, sounding confused, "'cause I found an aspirin on the floor, and I just wanted to make sure you hadn't accidentally dropped it when you were getting your morning meds in."
In Our Next Episode: A blow-by-blow (so to speak) follow-up to this one. [BZZZT!] Wrong. Ain't happening. But it'll be something almost as good. Probably.
PS: [Later] I still can't believe we did that. I've seen it on the internet, been curious, but doubted it ever happened in real life. We were in Sam's Club (a big ol' warehouse-store operation). It's fairly huge, and there's plenty of room and sometimes entire sections where you'll find yourself at the end of a long row of goods with no one around at all. The longer we were roaming around in there, the more possible the internet thing seemed. She didn't want to at first, but I kept talking -- you know how I get -- and she finally agreed that we had to try it at least once if I spotted the opportunity. Needless to say, it didn't take long, and with a quick look around we went for it. It was absolutely flawless, perfect...unbelievable, I think is the word I'm searching for here. We were walking across the parking lot to the car and her cheeks were still flushed and she giggled and said "I can't believe we just did that." So how about you guys? Any of YOU ever use the self-checkout without the "Call For Associate" light coming on?

I do it all the time in Target. I consider myself a pro now and would happily give lessons for a lil cash. Or I might give it away for free to certain peeps.
ReplyDelete