I skipped the obligatory stop at the pool to sit around telling war stories and drinking beer and Grey Goose and instead just came back to my room and fired down 5mg of melatonin, mostly because I was in the habit of it, and now I'm considering whether that was the best idea I've had all week as I have to be out and about Doing Stuff at about 0700 tomorrow. I'm getting too old to shake this kind of shit off like I used to. A common complaint. I stopped myself from getting into a bar fight the other night by reminding myself that I don't heal as fast as I used to and besides, I'm all respectable and shit these days. Eh, I'm glad enough to miss out on the pain anyhow, so I guess it worked.
Anyhow, I stopped to take a look at my blog and found not many had been there and zero had commented.
"Ooooh, Bunky, they didn't like that one," I said out loud, which made me laugh because there's no one else here to be called Bunky or anything else, which reminded me that the new-on-the-job, skinny little tough girl with the long, dark ponytail, almost* young enough to be my granddaughter whose boss introduced me to her as "one of the original old War Horses" was clear that she wants to get to know me a LOT better and she'd probably come over and be Bunky if I wanted, but I don't, I just miss The Beneficiary and my Columbia River girl and… nothing. Just "and…"
It's nothing. I'm just too long from home, too long to go till I get back, drunk, in a mood and generally just being a whiny little bitch and happen to be sitting in front of a keyboard waiting for sleep to mug me. I'll doubtless delete it whenever I happen to remember I posted it. Tomorrow is another day.
*Not "almost". Fuck, I'm old.
In Our Next Episode: Will it be another silly 14-year-old-girls' diary entry? Stay tuned to this channel, same time tomorrow!

You're being a bit passive-aggressive there, pookie.
ReplyDeleteHeh -- correct. Almost exactly what I thought when I re-read it this afternoon when I got back to the room. Which actually is what kept me from deleting it -- it would have looked like I was "Po' Me" flouncing or some silly shit. I wrote it, it's on me, and it can stay. But on the upside, I really was pretty drunk and the main point about being tired and ready to go home is spot on. Just, as I said, being kind of a whiny little bitch. I'm all better now... I doubt Hemingway ever said "Write drunk, edit sober" regardless how many times I've seen it, but at least the "Edit Sober" part should be something I know by now regardless...
ReplyDeleteGood advice, but that when I'm drunk I'm either in good (or not) company or just want to inhale some whip-its and turn on the Netflix app. Lazy motherfucker. Speakin' of age.
ReplyDeleteYour posts aren't dated which is oddly annoying but these comments are and they suggest you posted this just, maybe, like, yesterday. Huh.
I hope you are at least as well as you sound. You've always had a genuine voice and that's a rare thing. Try as I might I can't seem to fake genuineness like I do everything else.
How the hell do I get the Googo to point to my "real" "blog"? (https://regroup16.wordpress.com/)
ReplyDeleteI miss drinking.
ReplyDelete