I broke out the journal the other night to write a few lines, and discovered that it's been over a month and a half since I last wrote in the damned thing. That's not to say I haven't been writing -- I have — but it was the first time I've picked up an actual writing instrument with intent to abuse actual paper.
My journal entry acknowledged that fact, and finished up with the question:
"Am I the worst journalizer in the history of journaling?"After a few minutes of contemplation, I was able to definitively answer:
"Yes. Yes I am."
I'd submit it for the award and formal recognition again this year, but I'd probably not get around to it until it was a month overdue.
This spiral into non-production combined with inability to get one's shit together well enough to be recognized for it is the "Journalizing Black Hole" discovered by Hawkings during his famous thought experiment involving the gravitational field surrounding Couch Potatoes. It's why so many of us who have won year after year suddenly just drop out of sight, making room for the next batch of aggressively useless ne'er-do-wells.
Sad, but there it is. I'm a realist. I can bow out with quiet dignity and accept that natural cycle with grace.
It's the next generation's turn to not make their mark on history.
![]() |
| Previous Years' Wins (The Rest Are Out In The Garden Shed) |

Congrats! I published Ghosted as me and decided to "break up" with my Anna 'nym because she's served her purpose. Now, I have no writing projects on my list of to-do's and can happily publish shitty poetry to Medium and jabber nonsense on my blog. Life is good :)
ReplyDeletehttps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08PTQWDCZ/