Sunday, August 8, 2021

Vacation Pictures

 We do need reminding, not of what God can do, but of what he cannot do, or will not, which is to catch time in its free fall and stick a nickel’s worth of sense into our days.

  - Annie Dillard, “Holy The Firm” -


I have considered the old timers, the mountain men, cowboys, and the desert rats and have found intersection.

Not in lifestyle, mind. Their physical lives were a daily battle with nature that, without 21st Century technology, would kill me graveyard dead in a week or a month or a year. But the baseline liminal core of their lives resonates in deep places near my center in ways hard to quantify. They — we — are the people who have failed the ritual passage to full membership in the tribe, the people living forever on the threshold (Latin “limen” — yeah, that’s where “liminal” comes from), the outsiders looking in.

Sometimes.

Mostly, if truth be known, we don’t notice at all. We just live in the between spaces, occasionally sneaking a peek through thin places, bemused or curious about the intricacies of tribal life on the other side of the glass. But too close for too long can be toxic for us. We tend to move another 10 miles into the wilderness when we see a thread of smoke on the horizon. Too crowded.

So, then — vacation in the Big Empty for me is very like going home for R&R from a combat zone.

Sitting on a sandstone rock jutting over the valley floor, skin already cooking in the morning sun, looking to the indigo Wind River Mountains on the horizon a seeming thousand miles away and a hundred miles tall, sagebrush and sand, browns, tans, blacks; just there, a herd of antelope a few hundred feet below me and a mile away shimmering in the mirage-ripple calmly graze and keep wary watch on me, ready to spring to 45 MPH faster than thought on the least indication I’m a threat. The spine and skull and crushed rib-cage of an unlucky one of their number bleaches on the path behind me, a long forgotten sacrifice to Darwin. A small grey rabbit hiding utterly motionless under a piece of sagebrush almost within reach watches me with a liquid eye. My mind is still, a near-meditative emptiness of no thought, just soaking in the world.

I can literally feel my guttering energy recharging with every dusty breath this life-and-death desert exhales over me. Breath and dust and a trickle of salty water from under my hatband — how it all began, right? I lean back against the rock as the morning shadows begin to shorten. Eden stirs.

A couple of hours later, climbing up a terrible road into a cool dark pine forest. Trees and ponds and streams and deer crashing away, beavers swimming — and suddenly breaking out into the open where the sun at 10,000 feet ignites the high-mountain grass around the small river into a fiery lush green so pure it almost hurts.

Lunch, then, and swimming in the freezing water, laying out and drying and dozing on sun-heated granite boulders carved just for us a million years ago from the jagged mountains holding up the sky above us — then on to the lake.

Roiling iron skies falling down from the peaks, thunder echoing down the roof of the world, soft rain loafing across the water to us in sheets. Cool, almost chilly. I sit with The Beneficiary and the Granddaughters and watch the misty dark rain dimple the lake. Beginning to get cold, we head back to the 4X4 for snacks. Soon we’ll start the climb back down the mountain.

All but Granddaughter #2.

“Are you coming?”

“Yes. In a few minutes. It’s so pretty I want to just sit here for a little.”

“No rush. We’re on vacation, remember? Take your time.”

I stand to walk back.

“Grandpa?” she says, stopping me. “I love this more every year. I think I need it, even when I don’t know it. Thank you for bringing us.”

She’s 18 now, and already knows about living in liminal space, even if she doesn’t know the words. Actually, she might. She’s a writer and poet, after all, and a pretty good one. She’s learning to play the game with people who don’t understand her impatience with them. Of all my grandchildren, she’s the one most like me, I think. Poor thing.



…and the next day, more of the same.

So, we are recharged, our memory banks stuffed newly full of our empty places where we can rest when we’re tired and fed up. When it’s time to retreat back to our life between no longer and not yet.

…and how have y’all been?


5 comments:

  1. I need a vacation! Sounds heavenly… And it’s not so much that I’ve been so busy or stressed, just this constant nagging feeling that I’m never doing “enough.” Always more things on my pile of lists. I just want to sit and breathe…

    ReplyDelete
  2. To quote Ryan Holliday: "We do not live in this moment. We, in fact, try desperately to get out of it—by thinking, doing, talking, worrying, remembering, hoping, whatever. We pay thousands of dollars to have a device in our pocket to ensure that we are never bored. We sign up for endless activities and obligations, chase money and accomplishments, all with the naïve belief that at the end of it will be happiness."

    He says, and I agree, that just letting go of all of it for even a little while is the hardest thing we do, but one of the most necessary to be really happy. Or at least content. The future doesn't hold or promise anything -- all we have is right now, and stopping to appreciate it requires some practice -- and, according to the studies, not less than 10 days of vacation now and then to allow space for it to get your head out of the game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm straddling an intersection of my own. The life I recently sort-of led, guided by a witchy woman who helped me see my inner landscape and how it got shaped but has now gone far enough off the deep end that I'm no longer following. I'm springing back towards but never actually to a slightly aged version of the life I led before with its dance music and pretty women and no real place for men like me ... because I didn't really fit in there either. I loved my Burning Man community because it was made up of so many misfits, but time has shown me very few of them are truly misfits, they're just ill-fitted. It's becoming time I start a new path all my own, entirely new, entirely my own. I just needed time to see that. One of these days off I should get up early and drive a long ways, perhaps to the desert just over the mountains, only a three or four hour drive really, find somewhere to spend the night with no one around, gaze at the spaces between the stars, and come back ... A changed man? Not a chance. But it sounds like a good step to take.

    Sure wish I could get my Jeep fixed. That would be a lot better than this 15yo Toyota POS of mine. Anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's an odd state to be in, but one I've come to be content with. It seems that in terms of people, if not places, never really quite belonging where I'm at is where I belong.

    Very circular, I know.

    Perhaps better is that I've mostly accepted who I am, and discovered it's sufficient. I have the Beneficiary, kids, grandkids, and even a great-grandkid. They're enough, and the occasions when I find myself warming by the communal fire with someone outside that small circle is a bit of gravy, pleasant, welcome, but not expected or required.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They keep saying we should try to stay in "the here and now," since the past is gone and the future doesn't exist. But as you say, the here and now is that in-between space that is incomprehensible in that moment. It just "happens." Tom Wolfe talked about the 1/30th of a second lag time between reality happening and our "perceptions" processing it, so, well fuck, it's like we're never anywhere. And it's all bullshit. We need a different paradigm. Or at the very least, a vacation once in a while.
    I could go on, and suggest that if we live life slowly enough, the tension in the middle, there between the past and the future, isn't so blurry and strangling, and we can at least sort of feel it. Like we're alive or something.
    Just rambling. Thinkin' out loud. It felt safe here in the loony bin.

    ReplyDelete

Well, Don't Just Sit There -- Say Something!