It’s always a surprise when someone turns up in my space. I don’t think that I exactly radiate approachability, y'know? At least not usually.
So, I’m in the grocery store, in the bread aisle.
Me, fresh in off over 150 miles alone on the road with Bettina, still decked in full leathers, patches, chains, and combat boots, and pushing one of those stupid little child-size mini-shopping carts with my helmet taking up most of the basket space. Hamburger, Tylenol, and snacks were packed in around the helmet, and my armored-knuckle gloves were in the purse-tray (or whatever that little shelf-thingie is).
I’d been roaming around the store, lost as a babe and feeling older than God. At the moment, I was trying to remember what brand of bread we’re into, and this after spending what felt like a couple of hours trying to sort out whether we bought 80/20 or 93/7 ground beef. When I’m buying for myself it goes pretty quickly as I tend to pick up whatever happens to be nearest my hand when I think of it. The Beneficiary is a bit pickier.
In all fairness, I must have been one odd-looking little duck — or, to be more accurate, one odd-looking large, leathery, fatboy-duck, I guess.
Him, mid-20-something whatever-the-hell they’re calling stereotypical mid-range, lazy-jock examples of the current generation, (Gen "Z", right?) along with his actually kinda pretty little wife/girlfriend. I think she was pretty, anyhow. Now, recalling her, mostly what I see is shiny, longish, light-brown hair on a frame so short she wouldn’t have been able to see over my shoulder without a rung or two boost up a stepladder.
Anyhow, I’m standing there reading rows of bread and about to just give up and grab a couple of loaves at random when they came up from behind me and passed. She smiled and nodded, and I noticed him looking at me like he was trying to remember who I was. I’ve never seen either of them before.
They stopped in the aisle just before they got completely around my mini-basket, and he nodded and I nodded back. Then he said something like, “So, what are you all about?” which, of course, snapped my focus onto him like a filmmaker’s jump-cut.
I instantly assumed he wanted to stir some shit which, frankly, I needed like I need a sore dick. Using an over-used cliche, I’m too tired and way too old for this shit.
Wary and annoyed, I stepped toward him as I said something to the effect of “And who the fuck are you?” which made him back up so fast he bumped into his Significant Other.
She squeaked and grabbed his arm, eyes wide and he raised both his hands to chest-height palms toward me, and said “I didn’t mean anything. I was just curious about…” he gestured at me, the kiddie-basket, the bread, the whole tableau.
“Ah,” I said, still irritated. “Well, the wife’s sick, so I’m doing the shopping today. Does that work for you, or is there something else you think is any of your fucking business?”
His wife/whatever let go of his arm and pressed her hands to the middle of her chest, and cooed, “Awww, that’s so sweet!” in exactly the same voice/tone I assume she’d use if she’d just been introduced to a fluffy new puppy. This instantly flipped me from irritation to amusement and made me snort laughter, shaking my head. Surprised, she said “No, really!”
I suddenly realized that she’d been the one with the question — she’d just made him ask it.
I laughed again and told them not to worry about it and turned to walk away.
“We usually get the Wonder bread,” he said, gesturing. “It’s pretty good. If you still wanted some I mean.”
“Thanks,” I said. With leather (and probably old joints) creaking, I reached down and picked up two loaves, then the joke basket and I comically wandered away with not another word exchanged.
I don’t know how to feel about any of this. But it seems significant somehow.
That is a bit odd--someone having the nerve, or possibly the lack of common courtesy, or common sense, or maybe having some kind of undeserved sense of entitlement to approach a total stranger and ask such a thing. I would love to see a scene in a Coen brothers movie start out like this.
ReplyDeleteMore than a bit odd, at least in my world. I can only assume that the current generation's self-obsessed idea that the world exists for their entertainment, and answers about anything can be had in a pop-up box by just tapping the touch-screen means that they tend to confuse real life with slick animatronics. I got the distinct impression that they didn't consider their approach rude or out-of-line, but more on the order of a YouTube "reporter" prodding homeless people for their life stories. They were genuinely curious, which is all the motivation and justification they needed. These are the same silly fuckers who wind up in ERs after having their face chewed off by the "cute" pit-bull chained in the yard, or gored by the fluffy "brother buffalo" in Yellowstone. They're always shocked beyond telling when it turns out that real life isn't a series of clever TikTok posts.
DeleteTo be honest, I don't know how any of them live long enough to reproduce. Somehow they think that not MEANING to be assholes doesn't mitigate the fact that they are, nor does it substantially reduce the real-world risk of the associated consequences.
Completely unrelated: You are the 1800th comment on this blog. Doubt that actually means anything, but just struck my interest as I was wrapping up at the end of year...
Well we love round numbers--that's what New Years Day is all about. I was sitting here watching snow pile up on my deck this morning, opened Facebook and the algorithm had served up a "one year ago today" previous post of a picture of my deck with new fallen snow mounting up on it. I don't demand much from the universe, so a two-in-a-row is good for a synchronicity event in my book.
ReplyDeleteGood take on the Gen-whatevers. At least they didn't ask you to do a selfie with them.
Hah! I don't have a clue how I would have responded to that. Badly, I suspect. "Why, Yes, that is a picture of me grabbing a handful of your wife's ass. Next time you're touring the zoo, stay away from the cage."
Delete(Snerk) Now I've amused myself again...