Sunday, January 9, 2022

R-357 Calliope

 Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get the work done. If you wait around for the clouds to part and a bolt of lightning to strike you in the brain, you're not going to make an awful lot of work.
― Chuck Close, American Artist

True as God’s revelation from The Mountain. I’ve always known it which is why on days like today, when I have the desire to write something but no slightest inspiration as to what it might be, the only solution is to put my head down and start writing, put in the time, put in the grunt-work. It’s not lack of inspiration that cuts into my output, but simple laziness when I can’t be bothered to do those hours.

Calliope appears as she will, fickle and flighty as all the Muses, teasing me with a story or a paragraph or a sentence. Sometimes only with that single perfect word I need in just that spot.

There is dark literature about this sort of thing, you know. Black enchantments to capture her, chain her in some hidden place, and abuse her in terrible ways; and the ideas will flow. But Muses, as all women — as anyone really, but women especially — do not like being enslaved to the ravages of masters who demolish them for their magic. It always — and I mean always — ends in tears, or madness, or death.

Or all that.

“The Muse’s Revenge” Ilya Milstein, 2019

Calliope knows I know that, knows I’m harmless. So on these days when I can be bothered to sit at this keyboard, she occasionally visits. I live for those visits, but I never for a second think they’re permanent or even frequent or that she’s wholly mine even when she’s here. Mostly, she just flits by to nuzzle my neck for a brief minute, give me a quick kiss and a smile, then away for — weeks, sometimes, or longer. She can be kind of a bitch about it.

Once in a blue-moon-rare while she stays longer, sometimes even the entire night. She frankly wears me out in that blurred torrent, driving me further in an orgasmic haze of adrenaline and no sleep than I believed I was even remotely capable of being driven. And a couple of times in maybe a decade or so, she’s still there the next morning, though never for long once I stir.

A fact I’ll bet you didn’t know: She snores, albeit lightly — and even that shallow breath against me is enough fire for the next little bit. Then she’s gone, the keyboard rattling in a slowing tattoo in her absence as I try to get that last distilled drop onto the page.

And then I drift, yet again, putting in the time. Or not, as the mood moves me. And always, always, always wonder if she’s gone for good this time.


5 comments:

  1. I'm inspired all the time. Gettin' shit done is a whole nother story. I'm scattered anyway. I was going to say I'm scattered these days anyway, but I've been scattered for a long time. Forget the these days part.

    Drift, drift. I think I'm internally rebuilding. The nanobots are constructing something newish out of what's left of the oldish. Will the end result resemble a writer? I don't even know how much it will resemble a human.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. My nanobots are busy little beavers -- but then they always have been. The problem is that the materials they have to work with these days are worn out. It's like rooting around through an old pile of reused-for-years lumber trying to find a couple of slats that aren't nail-split to powder, rotting to cardboard, cut to weird lengths, or bug infested in order to fill in the gap-toothed fence I'm building or repairing. The metaphor fails past this, as I can always run down to Home Depot for new 1X6s, but if I need new internal raw materials I have to mill it myself, which these days strikes me as a pain in the ass worthy of the effort only for the most exceptional circumstances. So, an unfinished, rotting structure it is. But you can see the outlines of where it was headed, anyhow.

      Delete
  2. Inspired? What's the opposite of inspired? Oh yeah, breathing out. *sigh* Mercury must be in permanent retrograde or something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. Breathing out. Or corpsified. ("He has expired.")

      Which is sometimes what it feels like when the "inspired" part departs with neither rhyme nor reason, leaving me with a adrenaline and madness hangover.

      On the best really bad days it's like dancing around the fire with the kids, all connected and in tune with everything, each other and the universe, all of it clear as polished crystal; then waking shivering the next morning in cold ashes and mud, older than God, ragged Dollar Store faux feathers in your hair and nonsensical symbolic body-paint flaking off your ridiculous corpse, and you're suddenly deeply aware of the embarrassing silliness of it all-- and hope no one saw or at least didn't upload any of it to some viral "Goofball Old Fart Of The Week" website. The phrase "WTF Was I Thinking?" is the only rational thought for a day or two.

      And you'll do it again the next time opportunity presents.

      (shrug) Ah, well, if I wasn't having fun, I'd go do something else...

      Delete
    2. Heh -- "Expired" -- past my "Use By" date...

      Delete

Well, Don't Just Sit There -- Say Something!