“The service to others is the rent you pay for the room you have here on earth.”Muhummad Ali“...after 60 days and nights of constant combat, 98 percent of all soldiers became psychiatric casualties....What about the other two percent? They were aggressive sociopaths. They were apparently having a good time. (At least that is the conclusion of two World War II researchers, Swank and Marchand.) But recent research shows that that two percent breaks down into wolves and sheepdogs....
"Here is the point…. In nature the sheep, real sheep, are born as sheep. Sheepdogs are born that way, and so are wolves. They didn’t have a choice. But you are not a critter. As a human being, you can be whatever you want to be. It is a conscious, moral decision.
"If you want to be a sheep, then you can be a sheep and that is okay, but you must understand the price you pay. When the wolf comes, you and your loved ones are going to die if there is not a sheepdog there to protect you. If you want to be a wolf, you can be one, but the sheepdogs are going to hunt you down and you will never have rest, safety, trust or love. But if you want to be a sheepdog and walk the warrior’s path, then you must make a conscious and moral decision every day to dedicate, equip and prepare yourself to thrive in that toxic, corrosive moment when the wolf comes knocking at the door.”Dave Grossman, "On Combat: The Psychology and Physiology of Deadly Conflict in War and in Peace"“Whom shall I send, and who will go for Us?” Then I said, “Here am I. Send me.”Isaiah 6:8
![]() |
| Done Now |
And now, well over 50 uniformed years later, barely out of high school till today, I'm sandblasted down to near-nothing. Bled almost dry, I have but a small allotment left that, selfish pig that I am, I’m hoarding for myself.
I have been in combat now nonstop for decades more than many of them — many of you — have been alive, and more and more often these days it all seems for nothing. Is that true? Or just burnout talking? Doesn’t matter. There's no bitterness, not really. I'm just old. And I am tired.
I'm hard-headed though, and believed right and wrong really meant something. Still do, if it gets to that. But it’s a stark and lonely religion, simple and plain as a sun-bleached skull and, so far as I can tell, about as distastefully regarded by many. Most? Yeah, most.
But I stood the line, carrying with me the ghosts of my brothers, friends, mentors, rabbis, and blood kin who died for it. And lately in the whiskey-fumed dark I also increasingly bear their acid, mocking whispers.
The dead know the real secret, did you know that?
That it's better to be alive; all else is fading vapor and illusion.
Some nights their bitter laughter softly echoes through me for having wasted this gift of my life, the years they never had, on so pointless an exercise.
Was it a waste? I don’t know. It’s too big a question to undertake this late in the Game, far too late. I can only think that if I didn't like it, or at least wasn't getting something out of it, that I'd have done something else.
No. Wrong reading. Take some responsibility: Yeah. I loved it. No one had a gun to my head.
But if the dead somehow rolled back the rock and stood living and breathing, blinking into a new sunrise, with another chance to live, would they take up their shields and swords again and stand their place on the line next to me? Would I if I were them? Would I let them?
No. Not even if they would, not if I could prevent it. Even now the sheepdog would try to protect them, drive them back from the crumbling edge, tell them to run from this collapsing battlement, to not die again for so little gain. And, yes, I’d die on that line to bring them back and let them escape if I could so they'd have the lives they should have had.
So, I'm stupid too, I guess. But I have learned some things. And stupid time is over. I'm finally ready to withdraw to my deserts and mountains and let the fucking place burn to the ground behind me.
The sheep can line up for their turn on the altar for the ritual slaughter with no interference from me. I've done my time watching over them, trying to keep the silly, lemming-brained creatures safe while they wandered cluelessly about their pointless lives, peacock-strutting their colorfully useless ability to pretend they have the slightest idea how the world works.
How many of them have I saved? How many have I lost? How many wolves have I dragged from their predations into the dark? Have I paid the rent on my space here? That's the difference between sheepdogs and wolves, you know. That it matters. Wolves don't care.
The sheep, of course, can't tell the difference. All they see is similar-shaped animals, toothed, clawed meat-eaters, capable of extreme and sudden violence -- as far as the sheep are concerned, we're all the same until the wolves begin tearing a bloody path through the flock. Then they suddenly cluster around us. And the next morning when the immediate threat is past, they cast us out again.
The answer is, I don’t know. I’ll never know. I only know it was all I could do. I hope it was enough and I hope that there’s another to step into my place. Because I’m not going to do it anymore.
And should the wolves and the bleating Quislings who have sold their people to them get their fill of the blood of the mewling flock and decide to turn their eyes to me and mine, they should come heavy.
Because even an old broken-down sheepdog — or will it be a wolf then? does it even matter these days? did it ever? — still hears the battle echoing in the distance and will not go down easily.


Happy retirement! You gave more than most...
ReplyDeleteThanks! But, as I've always said, if I didn't want to do it, I'd probably have gone to do something else. Which is what's finally happened.
DeleteI would guess the sheepdogs have a particularly hard time with the wolves in sheepdog's clothing.
ReplyDeleteI would say I'm a sheepdog at heart, having given much of what I could to what turned out to be nothing much. I also might be a sheepdoggish sheep with a strong genetic tendency towards codependency that I continue to work to cure. Who knows? Cares? I too am just going to do me now, though not as eloquently and dramatically cynical about it. :-D
Congratulations on surviving and on serving so very well, as I know you did regardless of your view of the outcome. To hold the line in this world is victory.
"...wolves in sheepdog's clothing...." Yeah, we do, but there are a LOT fewer than you probably think. And even fewer since of the rare ones I've run across, most are doing something else for a living after we tore chunks out of them and ran them through the system, and a couple -- a few, maybe -- are still doing time. We don't much like them. But, then, our definitions are probably a lot different than yours.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the congrats -- I'm already enjoying it, at less than a week in. It's gonna be good. But someone has stepped into fill the hole I left. Be nice to them once in awhile, too.
So, first off, congratulations on your well-earned rest. May you find within it something that brings you, if not joy, then at least satisfaction. :-)
ReplyDeleteSecondly, a nit about the Grossman quote and his metaphors. He writes that the Wolf must understand he will always be pursued the the Sheepdogs. And that's a good enough metaphor. But when he turns to the Sheepdog, he indicates the Wolf is the one knocking on the door. And, by itself, there's nothing wrong with that. But together, they create a metaphorical dissonance. Will the sheepdog pursue the wolf, or will the wolf come knocking? Gah! I need the bridge. I need to know that if the wolf knocks, THEN the sheepdog will run out to chase. Or maybe the sheepdog just senses the wolf and gives chase. Gah! Gah! Help me!
Okay. 'nuf a that.
No metaphors are perfect although this one suits better than most. Given the context within the book (not a bad book, by the way, should this sort of thing interest you) what he meant to say is that when the wolf knocks (or charges into the flock) the sheepdog must react instantly and with 100% commitment to engage them and to disregard the chaos and corrosive atmosphere that surrounds the attack, disregard the emotion and blood and pain and horror and and fear and focus on the battle.
DeleteHe means that sheepdogs are the ones who run TOWARD the shooting when everyone else is running away, who stand in a reeking homicide scene that no one else will approach or in the pile of shredded metal and screaming meat chunks that used to be a family on the way to church when they were hit by the high-speed drunk, and disregard anything that's not part of the problem to be solved. Sheepdogs not only believe in the Dahlmers of the world, they know they may be the 9-5 guy next door. Sheepdogs see the anonymous grandfather pushing his granddaughter on the swing in the park, and "Oh, that's cute," is about 5th down their list of evaluating the potential context of the scene.
One of the problem is (as they say) everyone wants to be a sheepdog until it's time to do sheepdog shit. And our current society encourages that, and tries to breed/enforce a softer, fluffier, more sheep-like sheepdog because, as noted above, sheep really don't like sheepdogs much more than they do the wolves.
The result is any of a number of versions of Uvalde that you care to name where a bunch of sheep in sheepdog clothes mill about and uselessly bleat at each other while the wolf stalks and rips through the flock unimpeded. Don mentioned in his comment that wolves in sheepdog clothing were an issue. They are, but not nearly the issue that sheep in sheepdog clothing are. We root out the wolves, send them to prison when we can find them. But we can do nothing with the useless sheep who want to be Andy of Mayberry and manage to find their way into the sheepdog locker room but are the cowards hiding behind their badges awaiting rescue from someone useful, a real sheepdog when the shit hits the fan.
Not everyone can do this work. Frankly, MOST can't do this work. But the sheep have always thought it's just a matter of strapping up and running around in a patrol car playing cops and robbers, and they pass laws and employment practices to codify that belief.
In fact, you probably don't even know anyone who, if pressed, wouldn't tell you they could do it. But (and I'm as serious about this as I've ever been about anything ever) it's actually a calling. And if you aren't called to it, you're going to suck at it. And if you are called, you are going to be set apart, and never have much in common with those who aren't.
Not complaining nor trying to over-dramatize anything. The fact is that I loved it all, thrived in it, and have the weirdest mixture you can imagine of sorrow and bone-deep relief that I'm not doing it anymore. So shed no tears for me.
But I must say that I often found the flock more annoying than the pack. I often understood the pack, for all that I hated them and spent my life taking down as many as I could find. But I often cannot understand the flock or how they manage to function. I don't hate them at all, mind, and I know that my separation from them is certainly not all on their side.
(shrug) Nature of the business I suppose.
Dang this blogspotiness. Wordpress has my identity and I don't have to fret over it. Blogspot makes me choose it. The previous comment was from me.
ReplyDeleteYeah, I knew it was you -- we all have a voice, innit?
DeleteCan I be a cat? Just minding my own business, running up a tree maybe when the canines turn up? That's the trouble with retirement, you start thinking what's the point. And then if you can't answer it you're in trouble. That's also the trouble with not being thick. Were you in the army? Also, can I annoyingly point out that rams are quite feisty, in terms of seeing off wolves. More seriously, given the opportunity to live my life over, I might very well do worse. My daughter recently spent three months in Budapest having signed up for a crappy master's degree, but had an amazing time socially. Given a second chance she could have avoided that mistake, but also avoided making a score of lively European friends. So whatcha gonna do? Trivial take I know.
ReplyDelete