Tuesday, February 1, 2005

The Arc Of Life -- Cursed by Good Luck

From From HANK KURZ Jr., AP Sports Writer:
"For this former quarterback, it took a Hail Mary thrown like a baseball to win the basketball game.



With 0.6 seconds left in overtime, Jordan Snipes of Guilford College rebounded the other team's missed free throw, wheeled around and heaved the ball the full length of the court.



Swish.



For Snipes, the improbable, 90-foot shot for the 91-89 victory over Randolph-Macon on Monday is a memory the former high school quarterback doesn't expect to top.



'I think that'll be my highlight,' the sophomore said Tuesday afternoon after the game. 'I thought if I went to sleep that it was just going to turn into a dream and when I woke up it'd be over.'"


Yup. The picture here is one of those spooky things you run across on the 'net now and again where you get to watch grainy video documenting the last few moments of some poor goober's life as it swirls into the DOA meta-shitter. Most of these little clips involve weapons or accidents of some sort -- this guy's terminal act involved a basketball.



His life, for all practical purposes, is over. This is as good as it's gonna get. Poor peckerhead -- he's got another 50 or 60 years of reliving this moment to look forward to, with no likelihood whatsoever that he will ever match, much less exceed, this high-point-top-of-the-arc in his life again. It's all downhill, to a greater or lesser degree, from here on out. He's in his early 20's and he'd just as well buy the headstone now.



How sad is it to have luck that good? Personally, I've been holding off on making my 90-foot shot till I've lived enough life to make it worth the trouble.



Also, while we're on the subject of college basketball, some cheerleaders:







No particular reason. I just like cheerleaders. Rah!



In Our Next Episode: Lassie, sick of rescuing that clumsy little clod Timmy from the well, the wild animals, the weather, nasty strangers, and all manner of other evil shit, finally snaps. Will she lead Pa, Ma, and the Sheriff to the corpse stuffed into that drainage culvert out of sheer force of habit? Tune in and see....PMS Lassie!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Well, Don't Just Sit There -- Say Something!