I broke my freakin' bike. Considerably pissed off at the moment. Turns out that when you're running down the highway at 110-115 for half an hour at a stretch or so, it puts a tad of stress on the works. (To be more accurate, running 95-100, with high-acceleration bursts to 115+ and engine back-pressure decelerations to 70 getting in and out of traffic seems to be a bit much). Thought at first I'd bent a push rod or sheared a rocker arm post or some such, but after yanking the rocker covers and doing a bit more analysis, it seems more likely that I've spun a bearing down in the crankcase.
Shit.
It's remotely possible that I've damaged the compensator assembly, and I'll be able to fix it with a new nut at some springs (which would be pretty cool, as that's relatively simple and cheap) but I don't think so.
Bottom line: I'm sidelined for a few days, and I'm probably fixin' to spend a buttload of money. Pretty excited about that.
Ah, well, if you ain't pushing limits once in awhile, you ain't riding it. Thinking about just picking up the Softail I've run across downtown. Some RUB bought it a couple/three years back, and has put about 5000 miles on it, along with every fucking accessory known to man, and is now trying to get rid of it. Nice bike, reasonable price -- now if I just had some money...
Gotta go get some sleep. Too hacked off right now to write anyhow...
In Our Next Episode: Wrenchin' Adventures
Erk. My sympathies.
ReplyDelete[PJ] "I visit your blog nearly every day and read every word you write and comment often. And even though you only update said blog once in a blue moon, and write to me even LESS frequently than that, I still read your blog faithfully and hang onto your every word. That's how loyal I am to you."
ReplyDelete[Dust] "Yeah? Well I'm just much too much of a big shot to visit your blog, let alone to comment, and besides, I broke my freakin' bike. I have no time to visit sissy cooking blogs called sissy names like bowkay garnee or whatever the hell it's called. Good God, it sounds French! I'm a MAN'S MAN for chrissake!"
[PJ] "Oh."
Pshaw. I visit your blog all the time. 'Course, I visit using IP
ReplyDeleteaddresses out of about everywhere (including, over the last week,
Germany, Colorado, British Columbia, Illinois, California, Malaysia,
Russia, and the Netherlands) so your analysis tools probably don' t see
it.
You're right about one thing, though -- I don' t update my blog very
often. I'm just not disciplined enough -- there's always something else
to do....
(Continued via email)
'Course, I visit using IP
ReplyDeleteaddresses out of about everywhere
I got the email. The IP said it was from hell. It makes me nervous when you email me from hell. Quit doing that.
Amazing blog! I really enjoyed reading and hope you keep updating it frequently! I really liked the information on asbestos! I have my own asbestos blog if you would like to come and see what I have on mine! Also, may I put a link to this blog of yours on mine?
ReplyDeleteAmazing blog! I really enjoyed reading and hope you keep updating it frequently! I really liked the information on asbestos! I have my own asbestos blog if you would like to come and see what I have on mine! Also, may I put a link to this blog of yours on mine?
ReplyDeleteAmazing blog! I really enjoyed reading and hope you keep updating it frequently! I really liked the information on asbestos! I have my own asbestos blog if you would like to come and see what I have on mine! Also, may I put a link to this blog of yours on mine?
ReplyDelete