Now here's the deal: I always post using a proxy.
More to the point, I never do anything with this blog that doesn't involve several steps through Malaysia, Singapore, Russia, or some other third world shithole like California. I don't even check comments without running through screens. NSA might be able to track me, but I doubt it.
There are a variety of reasons for that, not least of which is that I have a near-obsessive privacy fetish. The blog is contained multiple layers away from me, which requires wending through the labyrinth on my part to get to it.
No biggie. I'm a nut for net privacy, so I'm used to the keys and codes, and passwords, and linked servers -- it's second nature.
However, surprise surprise, it turns out that bad things happen and stuff just wanders off into the dark spaces that exist between the bright places on the internet with a higher frequency than one might expect.
Y'see, when someone at Blogger® decides to reboot the system in order to get a few moments alone with the chunky li'l hottie in accounts receivable, it's generally a minor problem. And when the system link in Amsterdam takes a giant dump, it's short-lasting and not a real big deal, nor is it when an encrypted anonymizing server in Kiev goes offline for a few seconds to wipe all its logs...it's almost not noticeable.
However, combine all these minor weaknesses into a single chain and all of a sudden the probability that the internet is going to suck up one's best offerings and spit out nothing but the bones goes up appreciably. Like one of the old strings of Christmas lights, if it all doesn't work, none of it works.
The upshot is that the long, involved post I wrote last night went into the shitter at about the same time I punched the "post" button and, being somewhat of a dumbass, I hadn't saved any of it. Sometimes a string of good luck is a bad thing -- makes one complacent.
I'll bet I save THIS one.
And, of course, it was the best blog entry ever written in the English language. No, not just blog entry -- the best THING ever written. Absolutely the most affecting, astounding, meaningful string of words ever
==========
So, given my predilection for redheads, what's up with the brunette? Now, there's a stupid question. What are you blind or brain damaged? Do you SEE that? She's been way up on my "No Bullshit Hot" list since her appearance as a torch singer in "Dark City." Standing at that mike singing "Sway," she was the absolute definition of "smolder." (Yeah, I know it was lip-synch. Give me a break.) Now, I know for a FACT that she's a flaming leftist liberal maggot. Don't care. If I get anywhere near her, I'm guessing politics will never come up anyhow. Woof.
Besides, I needed to broaden my audience base, and redheads will only go so far. Well, not true, but in this context anyhow.
Also note that I've changed the blog's background because one of my correspondents has mentioned a number of times she didn't like the hard-core background that used to be there (HI PJ!) Hope this one suits better.
Seems he's gone and got married and respectable and whatnot and has actually produced progeny. For those who knew him back in the day, this seems rather unlikely, as his combat persona was a slow-moving, pedantic, vicious, homosexual sadist whose main joys in life were crystal meth, the word "Regard," and stringing enemies up by their entrails over a slow fire. I loved the guy. (For those who didn't know him, tough.)
In any event Heather (the redhead blogger babe) was a student of his in "Rhetoric and Computer Mediated Communications". She was kind enough to send along this pic of her and GVWIV, taken within the last year or two. As you can see, she's quite the li'l honey. Sadly, GVWIV stubbornly persists in NOT being a li'l honey. He's always been kind of a prick like that. Ah, well. Drop by her blog, and tell her I said "Hi!"
In Our Next Episode: I reconstruct the lost posting which, as noted, was the finest piece of writing known to humans. Or move on to something else. Whichever.
Yes, Dusty, I like the background better now. ;-)
ReplyDeleteNo fucking way! That Skeezix is Gilbert the Grape? Holy fuck! Where are his Depends? The jiggling buttocks? Man. I am crushed. The last time I was this crushed was when I discovered that you were really a chick.
ReplyDeleteHi, this is kind of strange. I also was looking around for Gilber Vanburen Wilkes. I had him as a teacher for freshman english at Carnegie Mellon University last semester, and am wondering whatever happened to him.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, I just thought I'd let you in on some synchronicity.
Nice article on this post. I was doing a search for asbestos info and your results showed up in the top 10. Although your info on asbestos info was not exactl what I was looking for. I find some of it useful in one way or another.
ReplyDeleteHey . . . I'm stuck in Wilkes IV class right now. Somebody, please shoot me .. . . no wait . . . shoot him and put us all out of our misery.
ReplyDeleteHeather's friend from school,
Josie