A confusing evening.
First:
I found out that the scrawny little girl from "The Professional" and (especially) the annoying bitch from "That Seventies Show" had got all growed up and turned into heart-stoppers. Yeah, I'd watched Princess Amidala sprout, and saw Kunis get all hard-core in "Book of Eli," but still, THIS was different. I mean, Portman's still pretty angular for my taste, but Kunis is absolutely BANGIN' hot.
Second:
In my whole life, I never once "got" ballet, not even for a second. I'd hear all this stuff about the grace and beauty of the dance, the flowing lines, the enormous flying élévation of the dancers as they bounce out a wad of entrechats, grands jetés and other supposedly "floating" or "flying" moves.
In truth, all I could see was a bunch of bony women and muscled fruits clumping around in their underwear, standing on their toes, and performing a variety of weirdness that could best be described as somewhat rhythmic running and jumping and arm waving.
It was generally about as graceful as a 7th-grade gym class, as far as I could tell.
All of this was mired in exactly the kind of orchestration you might think would be associated with that sort of thing (e.g., over-layered elevator music, mostly) and was as utterly incomprehensible as Sanskrit.
Then, the other night, The Beneficiary made me watch "Black Swan."
Oh. It's a freakin' STORY. Well, crap, why didn't someone just say so?
In Our Next Episode: We discuss the scene that cinched the "Best Picture" Oscar nomination - Mila Kunis raises her head, face framed between Natalie Portman's thighs, and with an evil grin, licks her lips, then wipes them on the back of her hand. You never saw art like THAT in Tchaikovsky's version. Brava! Bravissimo!

My (ex)wife hated shit like that. Much preferred Bruce Willis movies. So now I'm neither more nor less likely to see it than before. Saw Book of Eli. Portman does nothing for me. I guess that about covers it.
ReplyDeleteWell, but my father loves ballet, and has a shitload of it in his DVD collection. Maybe he's a throwback to the gentlemen of the 1800s, who learned to like it because that was where they took their mistresses. Best soft porn they had access to. You wanna get laid in 1880, you either take her to a ballet or a boxing match.
It's a scary movie, right? I havent' been able to enjoy watching scary movies since Blair Witch. Seriously. It totally messed me up.
ReplyDeleteNope, not scary. Well, not any more scary than a woman's psychosis, spiraling out of control because of cripplingly demanding work requirements and a psycho mother gets.
ReplyDeleteThat is some scary-ass shit. I should know.
ReplyDeleteHa! Yes, it does sound terrifying.
ReplyDelete