"Anything can be an instrument, Chigurh said. Small things. Things you wouldn't even notice. They pass from hand to hand. People don't pay attention. And then one day there's an accounting. An after that nothing is the same. Well, you say. Its just a coin. For instance. Nothing special there. What could that be an instrument of? You see the problem. To separate the act from the thing. As if the parts of some moment in history might be interchangeable with the parts of some other moment. How could that be? Well, its just a coin.Yes. That's true. Is it?"
(Chigurh discussing life, death, the flip of a coin, accounting and destiny, No Country For Old Men, Cormac McCarthy)
Yeah. That's what I was writing about earlier that raised the hair all over me. The instrumentality of small things, insignificant things, coin flips and small glances and single words. Things that are used by the the universe in the accounting of time and life, to turn left or right, to exist or not, to be the macro expressions of quantum-level mechanics of decisions and probabilities. I've written about this before, in other contexts. Some of you have read those, some not. But this time when I wrote it...well, it's stored away. Maybe I'll go back to it someday.
But I was reading today and ran across the above quote. It just struck me.
In Our Next Episode: Still working on something else. When I'm not distracted. Which I am, mostly, at the moment. But still, a biker-related redhead for ya...'cause I've also been thinking about getting on my bike, if it ever warms up enough...

No comments:
Post a Comment
Well, Don't Just Sit There -- Say Something!