Wow. New(ish) album "Old Ideas." Go. Get it. Right now.
Had to go crazy to love you
Had to go down to the pit
Had to do time in the tower
Begging my crazy to quit
Had to go crazy to love you
You who were never the one
Whom I chased through the souvenir heartache
Her braids and her blouse all undone
Sometimes I’d head for the highway
I’m old and the mirrors don’t lie
But crazy has places to hide in
That are deeper than any goodbye
Had to go crazy to love you
Had to let everything fall
Had to be people I hated
Had to be no one at all
I’m tired of choosing desire
I been saved by a blessed fatigue
The gates of commitment unwired
And nobody trying to leave
Sometimes I’d head for the highway
I’m old and the mirrors don’t lie
But crazy has places to hide in
That are deeper than any goodbye
Had to go crazy to love you
You who were never the one
Whom I chased through the souvenir heartache
Her braids and her blouse all undone
Had to go down to the pit
Had to do time in the tower
Begging my crazy to quit
Had to go crazy to love you
You who were never the one
Whom I chased through the souvenir heartache
Her braids and her blouse all undone
Sometimes I’d head for the highway
I’m old and the mirrors don’t lie
But crazy has places to hide in
That are deeper than any goodbye
Had to go crazy to love you
Had to let everything fall
Had to be people I hated
Had to be no one at all
I’m tired of choosing desire
I been saved by a blessed fatigue
The gates of commitment unwired
And nobody trying to leave
Sometimes I’d head for the highway
I’m old and the mirrors don’t lie
But crazy has places to hide in
That are deeper than any goodbye
Had to go crazy to love you
You who were never the one
Whom I chased through the souvenir heartache
Her braids and her blouse all undone
In Our Next Episode:We discuss what kind of women appeal to Leonard Cohen. I'm thinking probably redhead...
Hey, he used to bang Janis Joplin in her Chelsea Hotel days. Or, from his song about same (Chelsea Hotel #2, 1974:)
I remember you well in the Chelsea Hotel,
you were talking so brave and so sweet,
giving me head on the unmade bed,
while the limousines wait in the street.
you were talking so brave and so sweet,
giving me head on the unmade bed,
while the limousines wait in the street.
So, yeah, of COURSE she has to be a hippie.

I read that was coming out and am thinking of getting it. Great lyrics.
ReplyDeleteCohen has always had the poetry but I find I far prefer his "old man's" gravel to the sweet voice he used in the 70s.
ReplyDelete"Type the two words." Neither velyr nor ionam is a word, even in a Dust-filled universe.