Bit too much of this lately
. No more after tonight because I despise this kind of grasping impotence in myself. After all, I'm not an alcoholic, and shouldn't "need" this yet another night, which means that the fact that I'm sitting here with it when I know better is pure weakness. But I have to get some sleep right now, and Ambien knocks my dick in the dirt and kills all my censors. Which would be a bad thing... Self-meds are the best meds, amirite?
Alcohol actually inhibits proper sleep while it enhances all the stuff you *don't* want.
ReplyDeleteWell, for all my words in praise of Jack Daniels, I don't actually drink all that much. So JD and me are in that early part of the relationship where a couple of oz just knocks me down when I'm exhausted.
ReplyDeleteI'm about one inch from getting to that place you're talking about, though. Which is why I'm just going to grit my teeth and walk away from it. Not my style anyway. Well, the JD is. Self-med'ing isn't.
I was taking a half-valium to get to sleep for a couple years off and on; this worked out all right for me. But when I began taking 'em frequently "to even out my moods," ooh no, very bad idea. That's when I really spiraled down. Now I take one only on the rare occasion when I'm all stressed and jumpy for no reason. Never a regular thing.
ReplyDeleteIt's the sugar. Sure, the alcohol depresses the system for a bit, but you sugar spike. And either wake up, or half-wake. Less Deep. Less REM. Just a half-waking zone. Comforting, but not good for you.
ReplyDelete