Subject: Re: Not what it used to be
Date: 1998/03/14
X-Deja-AN: 334231814
References: <350b2ef2 .7005="" melbpc.org.au="">
Newsgroups: rec.arts.prose
On Sat, 14 Mar 1998 17:29:22 -0800, RLitjens
wrote:
>Don't you think that this newsgroup is not what it used to be? I just
>had another look today (after leaving it for about 3 days) and there is
>all this stuff with people swearing and not letting the people that want
>to use this newsgroup productivly use it.
(SNIP)
Can't say. I was referred to this NG as a place where prose could be
posted and critiqued and I actually looked forward to seeing what
authors were doing and perhaps learning something about style and
content.
Having spent about a week cruising the posts here, I've determined
that in fact this NG consists of a couple engaged in some sort of
lover's quarrel.
Bill Palmer (aka: "Palmjob". Zowie, that's original. Certainly
representative of the high caliber writing I've seen here so far) and
Gilbert Vanburen Wilkes (aka: "Wormy". What a slam! Even more
unoriginal than "Palmjob", although I wouldn't have thought that
possible) seem to be a couple of grey-haired old fags engaged in a
limp-wristed slap-fest over which of them gets to wear the leather
corset and handcuffs today.
This frilly little whine-a-thon is characterized by Palmer excreting
some turgid little lump of prose and Wilkes following it up with a
long-winded, fatuous dissection whose length is exceeded only by its
insipidness. The word "regard" is used a lot as a stand-alone
sentence (presumably meaning "Hey, pay attention to the following"),
and perfectly illustrates the attempt of the writer to come across as
high-toned intelligentsia. Of course, it actually results in him
sounding like the slow-moving, boring, pedantic text-book writer he
apparently is. I'm guessing his best efforts are presently gathering
dust in university bookstores in the "Drier Than Dust" section.
After that, they call each other names in a simply enormous number of
increasingly pointless posts (for my money, you just can't hear
"jiggling little boy" or "depends undergarment wearing" too many
times) which serves to throw their lack of imagination and skill into
sharp relief for anyone who's too dense to have picked it up from
their initial efforts.
The whole thing is followed up by each of them claiming to be heavy
hitters on the flame NGs. Hehehehehehehehehe. Yeah. All-righty,
then. I suppose being ineffective, talentless dweebs in a competitive
world wasn't their first career choice. To salvage some reason to
continue in their grey, drab little lives, it's necessary to feel like
they've got some sort of skill somewhere. Since writing damned sure
isn't on the list, an imaginary affiliation with Really Naughty People
will have to do. They probably tell the little boys in the leather
bars they cruise that they're actually secret agents and Desperately
Dangerous. Fantasy is a wonderful thing.
So, in answer to your question;
>Don't you think that this newsgroup is not what it used to be?
all I can say is that it's what it's always been ever since I first
looked in.
In the meantime, I'm outta here. I'll check back in a couple of
months to see if this NG's recovered. In the meantime, somebody track
me down and let me know if either of these limp-dicked queens manages
to kill the other. Now THAT would be entertainment.
AD
In Our Next Episode: Vicious little fucker, wasn't he? I miss him. I'll next put up a post in which AD shows his softer side. May be awhile before I can turn one of THOSE up.
<3
ReplyDelete