Saturday, August 11, 2007

Sound Of Music and Blog Saturation

So, I'm attempting to watch "Sound of Music". Well, not really...my granddaughter is visiting and the Next Of Kin was telling her about the music, and the granddaughter, who is 6, would not rest until the movie was played.

Now personally, the only thing I remember about the movie is that it involved a flying nun who was being abused in a nunnery, but in spite of it all sang a lot and then escaped and started banging some widower with 83 kids after which they started World War II. And I think Burt Reynolds was in it.

The only other thing I know for sure is that I have no slightest interest in seeing it again. However, the demands of grandparentage being what they are, having to load this thing into the ol' DVD player was pretty much a done deal once the granddaughter discovered we had it.

So, we opened the package (yeah, it was new -- you think we have this thing laying around the house? How little you know me.) It turns out that it's the 40TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION, which means there are TWO DVDs in there. Fine, chuck out the one with all the Special Shit, karaoke versions of all the music, the "Sound Of Music" First Person Shooter game, and every swinging has-been dick in Hollywood whinging on about the watershed movie experience, and we're ready to party, yah?

Wrong, little buckaroo.

Turns out even the disc containing the actual movie is loaded to the tits with dire little skits warning against downloading stolen movies followed up by a perfectly excruciating Julie Andrews piece consisting of her yammering on about her favorite scenes in the movie and lots of "where are they now" references to the rest of the cast including Christopher Plummer, who is nowadays a scary probably-dead guy, and updates on all the SOM kids, some of whom have apparently had successful lives and now manage a Rent-A-Center in Tioga, ND, and at least one who parlayed his fruity Leiderhosen performance into a high-dollar career as a pink-boy San Francisco stripper.

Now, here's the pain in the ass part: IT'S PROGRAMMED SO YOU CANNOT SKIP DIRECTLY TO THE MENU. Ya either gotta listen to every single syrupy line or fast-forward through all this shit to get to the opening credits.


Julie And Chris Yammer On About
Long Past Glories

Scumbags.

If I wanted to spend a wad o' money to listen to some dried up old mummy bang on about some turd she laid 40 years ago, I'd have gone to a Hillary fund-raiser.

Anyhow, it's finally in gear, and the granddaughter is completely immersed in same.

BTW, I'd completely forgotten that the Nazi guy's oldest daughter was at least semi-hot, in a virginal master-race kinda way....


Graphomania:

Read here for an excellent article on blog saturation -- and for those of you who are misguided leftist maggots who don't like her politics, in this particular entry Neo-NeoCon has written a completely neutral post. It just addresses something I've been considering:

At what point do we reach the "Blog Event Horizon"? (That's the term that I've coined to define the point where there are more blogs are being published than there are actual humans in existence to read them, after which the entire universe collapses into an inescapable gravity well of self-indulgence.)

She seems to be in general agreement with me that this has in fact already occurred -- but she then analyzes why it is that WE KEEP WRITING the friggin' things, and it turns out to not be an irretrievable disaster after all. Except for the universal deafness and incomprehension, I mean.
(See Also: Babel Fish, and in particular the following note: "...the poor Babel fish, by effectively removing all barriers between communications, has caused more and bloodier wars than anything else in existence...")

In Our Next Episode: A Review Of "State Fair"

3 comments:

  1. Just a quick drive-by to say thanks for contributing to Boiled Dinner, AD. I'm hanging it up. I'll still check in on you every so often, though. You know, for the warm fuzzies. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All this time between posts and we don't even get a peek at Andrews' tits???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neo-neocon is great. Never mind that Bloglines tells me she has 21 posts since I last read any. Come on, I don't read this shit every day. But I read that one and she's right. Sort of. Blogging got to be fashionable and everyone needs to express themselves. But something else will flash up and the crowd will go milling after it and only us creative dinosaurs will be left doing actual blogs or online journals or whatever the fuck these are while everyone else is jerking around the next Myspace 2.0 or something. Anyway, no matter what, it's unquestionable that the fate of civilization is

    "One morning ... when everyone wakes up as a writer, the age of universal deafness and incomprehension will have arrived."

    ReplyDelete

Well, Don't Just Sit There -- Say Something!