The First Thing:
From the "Natural Born Killers" soundtrack...
Give me back my broken night
my mirrored room, my secret life
it's lonely here,
there's no one left to torture
Give me absolute control
over every living soul
And lie beside me, baby,
that's an order!
Give me crack and anal sex
Take the only tree that's left
and stuff it up the hole
in your culture
Give me back the Berlin wall
give me Stalin and St Paul
I've seen the future, brother:
it is murder.
Things are going to slide, slide in all directions
Won't be nothing
Nothing you can measure anymore
The blizzard, the blizzard of the world
has crossed the threshold
and it has overturned
the order of the soul
When they said REPENT REPENT
I wonder what they meant
When they said REPENT REPENT
I wonder what they meant
When they said REPENT REPENT
I wonder what they meant
("The Future," Leonard Cohen)
Why oh WHY is this one of my favorite movies of all time? There's not a single likable character, it's difficult, it's loaded tits to teeth with cinematic claptrap, Woody Harrelson is a brain-damaged Hollywood asshole, Juliette Lewis is a twitchy freakshow, and Oliver Stone is a dangerous, delusional, near-psychotic Marxist. I've always said that it was a Tarantino film, which would make it better, because I think QT is a freakin' genius, but realistically, he didn't have that big of an input into this thing.
Maybe I like it because so many hated it. That's as good a reason as any. But it's a lie. It just speaks to me, somehow.
I dunno. Maybe everyone's got a film like that - they should just hate it, but they watch it every chance they get.
The Second Thing:
OK, disregard the obvious sexual connotations to the picture (if I can do it, you can) and answer me this: Just as a matter of pure aesthetics, is that not one of the coolest shapes you've ever seen?
The Third Thing:
A word about "evil industrialization," how much of nature we've "enslaved" to our purposes, and the value of returning to a natural lifestyle:
In Our Next Episode: Some attempt to write a rational post from one end to the other.


Actually, with all my reading about original diets, it turns out we lived much longer than 30 as hunter-gatherers (the few hunter-gatherers left have normal life spans, too). And, the only reason we live as long as we do now is plumbing. Not antibiotics, not surgery, not even our food, but having access to clean water and disposing of waste water properly. Next time I flush, I'll be saying grace.
ReplyDeleteAnd that question about the photo - do you really hafta ask? ;-)
Yeah, we are hardwired to dig that shape and certain others such as your perpetually walking redhead and that's JUST the way it is. Love the cartoon. I'm not convinced by Keera's assertion. Bad water is a curse of cities but the most ancient peoples, like their animal brothers, knew good places from bad and did not drink from rank standing water. Still, barring accident and disease they probably made seventy now and then. That's just a lot of years to avoid a broken leg. And evolution has no reason to help us out past thirty or so, and not everyone can manage on their own after that.
ReplyDelete