Turns out I can still be surprised.
Had an echocardiogram today. If you haven't, I recommend it. Coolest thing ever, watching the valves flapping like butterfly wings, and the ebb and flow of blood pounding around in weather-Doppler colors. The surprising part was how fragile it all looks, and how it all runs together like a marvelously clever miniaturized watchwork. I've been to - well - a lot of autopsies and related sorts of things, have held more than a few hearts in my hands. Pretty amazing things, but you really don't get a "grasp" on them till you see your own, real time, keeping you alive one delicate power-stroke at a time.
Had an echocardiogram today. If you haven't, I recommend it. Coolest thing ever, watching the valves flapping like butterfly wings, and the ebb and flow of blood pounding around in weather-Doppler colors. The surprising part was how fragile it all looks, and how it all runs together like a marvelously clever miniaturized watchwork. I've been to - well - a lot of autopsies and related sorts of things, have held more than a few hearts in my hands. Pretty amazing things, but you really don't get a "grasp" on them till you see your own, real time, keeping you alive one delicate power-stroke at a time.
Cool factor: About 9.8.
In Our Next Episode: I get a new nurse who's supposed to bring my heart-rate up a bit for the next exam. Yeah. As if.
OK, well, maybe a little.

That's not *yours,* is it?
ReplyDeleteBut, wait. Don't answer. I'd have to check back because I can't get notified when there are new comments and then I will forget to check and... anyway... I hope all's well with your delicate flower of an internal organ. :-)