Saturday, June 22, 2013

Rasenmähen Musik

Out mowing the lawn today. Hotter than hell, but the mower's running like a champ, and I've got noise-cancelling headphones dropping tunes in my ears while the rest of the world fades into the background. I may have mentioned it before, but lawn mowing can be very Zen, a zone-out, Become-One-With-The-Gump thing..

Forrest Gets All Zen Master And Shit
Repetative, not particularly demanding, but requires some degree of attention to detail to keep the lines straight and/or flowing, and also to keep from accidentally running over garden hoses left in this high grass last week or doing something stupid and getting some more-or-less necessary part turned to hamburger.

But, still, there's still plenty of spare brain-juice left over to wander around loose and get into trouble, so I try to occupy it with various complexities -- today, Beethoven's 9th. All four movements, beginning to end - just exactly the right amount of time to do the job.

Ah, them Krauts are a homicidal bunch, but DAMN can they put together some music. Up for next week's "disconnect my brain for an hour or two" session on the machine: Wagner, or at least the instrumental parts.
Die Walkure, Act 1, Scene 3, Siegmund und Sieglinde
Die Walkure, Act 3, Flight of the Valkyrie
Die Walkure, Act 3, Woton's Farewell to Brunhilde
Gotterdamerung, Act 3, Death and Funeral of Siegfried
Rock and roll, baby.

Obscure cultural cross references for the day:


6 comments:

  1. What's that middle picture? I know the other two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, just an idealized Valkyrie. That one was easy. The other two are pretty obscure references, especially the Luke 'n' Leia connection. I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got the left & middle, but not the right. That's cuz of my cultural retardetry, which I am regularly reminded of when I attempt to deal with [ugh] people.

    I get the mowing zen. I get that while folding laundry at home or shredding files at work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the early days I wanted to lose myself in music while motorcycling, but the technology wasn't well developed then, and it's just as well, since despite the effect of helmets an ability to hear traffic can make a life/death difference.

    I've never actually seen ACO nor does the L/L pairing add up so the referential intention is lost on me. But the Valkyrie are always welcome, as I surrender to their judgment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The right picture is Luke and Leia from "Star Wars." You knew that. But they are one of the more obvious samples of cross-cultural fascination with incest (Luke and Leia, Dangerous Liasons, Back to the Future, Clueless, Arrested Development, Cruel Intentions, etc., etc., etc., etc. All the tribes I know of through history have a strong incest taboo - and a strong line of incest legends, usually involving gods or other superior sorts.)

    Which, in case you're not up on your Wagnerian opera, relates pretty directly to Seigmund and Seiglinde, who were twins separated at birth who hooked up as adults which lead more-or-less directly to the end of Valhalla by way of the sacrifice of Brunhilde, made on the death of HER lover, Seifried. Who was the son of Seigmund and Seiglinde, and therefore Brunhilde's nephew.

    Them Herrenvolk not only write pretty good music, but they seem to be an excessively self-insular crowd. Which, of course, goes a long way toward explaining the high number of genetic defectives which are blonde and blue eyed, and probably helps explain why they're under the impression that they're too good for the rest of us.

    And that's what the third picture's about. Simple, yeah?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, well, you gave me too much credit. I recognize the other two images, but had no idea how they related to the music.

    You've got some surprising fonts of knowledge. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Well, Don't Just Sit There -- Say Something!