Monday, June 3, 2013

The One That Slipped Away...


Had a long post in mind. But this has been something of a day. A few bumps. But I am still at peace. Or, rather more accurately, again at peace. Life is good.

Unfortunately, the long post has fallen out of my memory, beaten into dust against too many competing priorities.

I really gotta find a good notebook.

Talking religion today with my best friend, and am considering how to write it up. Doubt it will be on here (who needs that?) but it will help me clarify whether it can ever be adequately addressed on the page. Hey, if you can't inflict friends with this sort of thing, then who?

6 comments:

  1. "who needs that?"

    We all do, darlin'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried writing with my hand (instead of typing) and I swear to tacos I can't make it work. I like the idea, though, of writing in a paper notebook.

    It's a bit disconcerting, this D-Slash version of AD. It seemed you were morphing in this direction before, so it's not a total clash. Next thing y'know, though, you'll be recognizing that lots and lots and lots of Muslims are peace loving people. :-)

    Even though you won't change to wordpress (waaaaaaaaaaaa), I'm glad the white font on black background is gone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, that Muslim thing will happen, being surrounded with evidence of it on every hand.

    The font was blue on black - you had some kind of reader stuff going. Glad you like the simpler format, though.

    I never write by hand EXCEPT to take some temporary notes to remind me of something to be typed later. (Is it typed if there are no typewriters anymore?)

    There was only one exception in the last couple of years, and it was something that just had to be in my hand - nothing else would do. (Long story, don't ask.) I didn't have anything else, so I wrote it on a neatly torn piece of notepaper, which was all I had to hand at the moment. But even with that, I felt a very personal connection with the paper and the reader in a very real sense. I'd forgotten that feeling of "real" writing.

    Just an outgrowth, I suppose, of the way things are nowadays. It used to be that a handwritten note or letter meant something - and probably even more so nowadays, when most people can barely scrawl their own signature.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even I am beginning to expect the medium to correct my spelling. It's sad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got a thank you from my daughter's preschool for the contribution I made ($20). It was typed. And, it was obviously a form letter with a paragraph edited to be personalized.

    I don't suppose I expect all thank you notes to be hand written, but it left a bad taste in my mouth getting this one. It wasn't because my gift was small, of course. Everyone got this kind of note, I'm sure. (I assume major gifts get at least a personal note.) It's just the idea that it's supposed to pass as personal when it really hardly is -- it's a time saver I understand, but it still felt icky.

    Hand written messages will almost always be more personal and meaningful to me than those written with a keyboard.

    ReplyDelete

Well, Don't Just Sit There -- Say Something!