I finally got around to watching "Battlefield: Earth," the claptrap Scientology history put up by John Travolta under the pretense that it's science fiction. It is widely considered to be the worst science fiction film of all time, and in fact, is on a lot of "Worst Films In History In Any Category" lists. I doubt any of my readers have ever seen it, and I thought I might be first at something for a change.
Besides, I thought, how bad can it be? I mean, I'm a big fan of Plan 9 From Outer Space - Travolta's little exercise in pseudo-religious dipwaddery couldn't be as generally horrible as that.
I watched it. All of it. Down to the last bitter dregs. And how do I feel about having subjected myself to this misery?
Is it nothing to you, all ye that pass by? Behold, and see if there be any sorrow like unto my sorrow.
(Lamentations, 1:11)
...my life is but a box of wormgears. (Marvin, the Paranoid Android)
In Our Next Episode: I pay a hooker in combat boots to drop-kick my testicles every 15 seconds for 118 minutes to see if it's actually a lot more fun and a better investment of my time than watching the movie.
I suspect it is.


So, B:E is so bad you can't even MST3K it? Now, that's bad!
ReplyDeleteAnd I read that as you were going to play a prostitute and I was so totally looking forward to that! Then I re-read it. Sometimes, one should just go with the first impression.
And why is my word verification "bared"? Hmmm?
Part I
ReplyDeleteYeah, it's so bad that it's beyond parody. You should watch it. It's one of those things that, the entire time it's running, you can tell yourself "I can do this. In only an hour or so, this will be over, and then I can say I stuck it out, and I'll never have to do it again."
And for the rest of your life, whatever disaster befalls you, no matter the pain, the misery, or the cause, you'll be able to remind yourself that you actually sat through B.E., and you'll never have to see it again, and it will make you smile every time.
Part II
I actually DID play a hooker once. But her pimp tracked me down and made me pay it back.
Part III
And your word verification of "bared" was because stupid Captcha won't let me make it say "Hey, babe, let's get nekkid and while away the afternoon with this large bottle of Dago Red and French bread, cheese, and something sticky sweet out on a warm riverbank somewhere."
Something about character limits or some goofy crap. Stupid machine.
But I assumed you'd be able to translate the abbreviated version.
I) Life's too short. I'd rather leave time for blogs.
ReplyDeleteII) Cover your tracks better next time.
III) Got it in one. Am excited about what's next because word verification now is "tuffs".
I've actually seen it, or at least the last half of it. Came across it while flipping channels and watched it out of some perverse masochistic curiosity. Besides, most things that are epic levels of terrible manage to redeem themselves at least partway by being worth mocking. It's about on par with watching a cannibal eat a human being while they're still alive, except less interesting.
ReplyDeleteIf the US military started showing that movie instead of waterboarding, they'd probably have a lot better luck interrogating stubborn prisoners.