Monday, March 7, 2011

Quickening

Should I start posting again?

Pro - It seems to be inevitable. Which may be a con, actually. Inevitability should never be the reason to do anything.
"It's like swimming against the current. It exhausts you. After a while, whoever you are, you just have to let go, and the river brings you home."
— Joanne Harris (Five Quarters of the Orange)
Con - Having to put up with the conversation with myself again, which is what blogs, even the good ones, really are when it's all said and done.
"It's one thing to develop a nostalgia for home while you're boozing with Yankee writers in Martha's Vineyard or being chased by the bulls in Pamplona. It's something else to go home and visit with the folks in Reed's drugstore on the square and actually listen to them. The reason you can't go home again is not because the down-home folks are mad at you--they're not, don't flatter yourself, they couldn't care less--but because once you're in orbit and you return to Reed's drugstore on the square, you can stand no more than fifteen minutes of the conversation before you head for the woods, head for the liquor store, or head back to Martha's Vineyard, where at least you can put a tolerable and saving distance between you and home. Home may be where the heart is but it's no place to spend Wednesday afternoon."
— Walker Percy (Lost in the Cosmos: The Last Self-Help Book)
Considering. Talking of this place as "home" is probably a bit overstated, a lot pretentious, and entirely reasonable in the context of where my head is this exact second. Maybe a vacation home, huh?

Fuck this. I'm just tired. Maybe I'll just go ride my bike for a few days instead.

ΔV

3 comments:

  1. You miss us!

    I miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All that gekkoey sentimental shit aside, all you got to do is please yourself. I blog because I'm a narcissist yet the feedback never actually tells me I'm a narcissist. So I get to live in blissful denial of my narcissism, and better yet read others either a) doing the same or b) exercising their gift for language, an even greater pleasure. I would encourage you to do either of these, though you are more of a (b) than an (a), and keep thinking out loud. Real loud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "gekkoey" sounds like "gooey."

    anyway, 'Dust loves sentiment. He's all flowers and bunny rabbits.

    ReplyDelete

Well, Don't Just Sit There -- Say Something!