Even SHE knew it and she's just a model PRETENDING to be a geek. (Unrelated: Why anyone would want to be a geeky redhead is...uhmm....excuse me, I'll be right back.)
OK, then. Where were we?
Oh, yeah. The world didn't end, as was predicted by about 99.9999999% of the geeks in the world and upwards of 99.9999997% of even toothless, white-trash fundies who believe that circumcising their newborns at home with a butter-knife will hasten Christ's return. The fundies never believed it because God hadn't told them so from a burning bush, and they have actually learned from a long, unfortunate history with crazed prophets that if Jesus isn't speaking to you PERSONALLY from His image found on a piece of toast, it doesn't count.
The geeks, on the other hand, having no God, had consulted their astrologers, crystal-speakers, and Ramtha channelers to make sure. Because at the end of the day, even the most hard-core geeks are members of a superstitious, barely-one-step-past-chimp-stage race; and even after they establish their Modern Thinker cred by denying that God exists, they pretty much have to come up with something to provide a Reason For It All.
It's how we function, this drive to find meaning and patterns, and discover who the fuck is actually running the place. It's a built in part of us. By aliens, as I understand it - certainly not by any primitive God thinger, which would just be silly.
In Our Next Episode: We get the geeks to explain why JFK was killed by a genetically engineered CIA hit team sent by the Nixon/Elvis cabal. This theory doesn't involve a God, nor allow that a single man with a bullet can change history. That, as any Rational Person can tell you, would just be stupid, and dismissed out of hand by any Serious Thinkers. So this theory which doesn't have any of that foofarah should be seriously considered.

So that's why I missed the rapture: I didn't make any toast. Darned low-carbing lifestyle.
ReplyDelete"It's how we function, this drive to find meaning and patterns, and discover who the fuck is actually running the place. It's a built in part of us."
ReplyDeleteI have no interest at all in finding "who is running the place." I mean, that phrase doesn't even make sense to me. It's repellant.
Patterns? What do you mean by that? I hate patterns. They make me tense.
Meaning, I like. That's all I like. Really.
I spent 20 minutes writing a reply to SereneBabe, and Blogger has flushed it with an error code.
ReplyDeleteI don't know what's up with the ongoing current Blogger clusterfuck, but I'm about 5 seconds away from moving everything to WordPress.
Meaning? WTH is meaning? Meaning means nothing. Meaning is a path, a pointer, an indicator to something else, to whatever is meant. The "meaning of life" is a concise means of bundling the thousand facets of existence into one neat and dare I say it meaningless package. Those thousand facets also create, in the human mind, a pattern. A pattern is also an abstraction. But it is an abstraction with real meaning for being an organization of facts into a potentially useful whole, a picture in whose reflection the mind can see solutions and their probabilities. In patterns it might be said there is meaning. Meaning itself is just the road sign.
ReplyDeleteYou might also say I am just being mean. If so, oops, I don't mean to adhere to the average.
Meaning is god is feelings beyond chemical reactions. Meaning is.
ReplyDeleteOf course patterns are important when it comes to having metaphors or archetypical examples so we have some sense of reality (we know chairs are chairs because of patterns, for example).