His wife smiled in her sleep.If it were a simple matter of killing to be able to write like that, none would be safe around me.
Why?
She's immortal. She has a son.
Your son, too!
But what father ever really believes it? He carries no burden, he feels no pain. What man, like woman, lies down in darkness and gets up with child? The gentle, smiling ones own the good secret.Oh, what strange wonderful clocks women are. They nest in Time. They make the flesh that holds fast and binds eternity. They live inside the gift, know power, accept, and need not mention it. Why speak of Time when you are Time, and shape the universal moments, as they pass, into warmth and action? How men envy and often hate these warm clocks, these wives, who know they will live forever. So what do we do? We men turn terribly mean, because we can't hold to the world or ourselves or anything. We are blind to continuity, all breaks down, falls, melts, stops, rots, or runs away. So since we cannot shape Time, where does that leave men? Sleepless. Staring.
Three A.M. That's our reward. Three in the morn. The soul's midnight. The tide goes out, the soul ebbs.Ray Bradbury"Something Wicked This Way Comes"
In Our Next Episode: Less Quotes! More Something Else!

Brilliant and nice. What a guy. Ray Bradbury, too.
ReplyDeleteDAMN that was excellent. I haven't seen that book since I was in 11th grade. I think I'll just re-read it.
ReplyDelete