Thursday, June 2, 2011

Catfish

An absolutely astounding documentary, if you haven't seen it. Anyone who is involved in the discussion about online relationships, friendships, and love, or even just has a FaceBook account has got to see this thing. From the Amazon description:
Love and identity become twisted across the lines of the Internet in this documentary from filmmakers Henry Joost and Ariel Schulman. Nev Schulman is a photographer who one day received a surprising e-mail message -- Abby, an eight-year-old girl in Michigan, had seen his picture in a newspaper and wanted permission to paint a portrait from it. Nev gave his OK, and when he was given a copy of the painting, he was struck by how good it was, assuming that the girl was either a genius or a fraud. Nev tried to contact Abby's family, and somehow ended up in contact with Megan, Abby's sexy 19-year-old sister. As Nev fell into an increasingly complicated on-line relationship with Megan, he decided it was time to meet her in person, but when he traveled to Michigan and tracked her down, Nev learned that Abby and Megan's family were not at all what he expected them to be. Ariel Schulman, Nev's brother, began filming his brother's adventures from his first contact with Abby, and in Catfish he and Henry Joost tell this strange story from beginning to end. Catfish received its world premiere at the 2010 Sundance Film Festival.
No kidding. Watch this.

In Our Next Episode: I review other things. Because my opinion is just that important.

4 comments:

  1. Perfect timing! Just finishing season one of Breaking Bad and I'm not with the girls for a couple days (Josh has them) so I can actually watch something... and it's frrrreee! You know I'm fascinated by this stuff. Thanks for sharing the link.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome, except the link wasn't intentional -- it's on of those Google Magic thingers. Google is a pain in the ass occasionally. At any rate, once you pointed it out, I tried to get the links to do anything useful - no go.

    So another post (see most recent) with what seems to be a good link hotlinked/embedded.

    Hope it works - you'll like it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The link worked for me last night! At any rate, thanks. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, boo, I was wrong. The link worked but brings to a teaser "watch it free online" without the actual movie. No matter. I'll grab a copy through the magical Internet fairies and all will be will.

    ReplyDelete

Well, Don't Just Sit There -- Say Something!