I've been trying to get my ass in gear, so to speak, in the last couple days. Stretched too thin, too many... just a lot and a lot I've chosen to let slide that I shouldn't simply because I want to be a mother to my children.
Anyway, yeah, yesterday I got a kind of kick in the ass (keeping with the theme) and rode that momentum for a while but I'm back to exhausted and unmotivated and meh.
Taking your ass... haha, I was going to finish that with "taking your ass post" but think it's funny to leave it as "taking your ass" as another nudge in the direction of actions I really need to take.
By the way, if you haven't already seen this, you might enjoy it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXJYkkxh0rk
Another thing that I've only told a couple people before (possibly one of those people was in a public forum) that in my life more than three people have said my writing "was like Hemingway" and your quote there is another one of those, jeez, that name keeps popping up all over the place, maybe I ought to read some. Is "A Farewell to Arms" a good place to start? (Not that I'll get to it for months...)
One of his early novels, ca. 1930 or so, semi-autobiographical, set in WWI, telling the story of an American volunteering with the Italian army as an ambulance driver.
A lot of doomed romance and comparing the immediacy of personal disaster vs the impersonal machine of war/universal type disaster stuff scattered liberally throughout.
Sometimes almost feels like a writing class because every writing class ever uses him as an example of how to do stuff, or not - short, choppy style, simple intricacies in the fewest words possible, all that. Every writing student that has lived since about 1925 tries to write at least one Hemingway piece and all almost instantly finds out that getting away with breaking as many rules as he does is just fiendishly difficult, although he makes it look as simple as scribbling in a personal notebook.
It's genius, to use a too much used word.
Absolutely first rate, and some of his best writing, as far as I'm concerned. Ain't no comedy, though, and can get pretty friggin' grim...
Sleeping or dead? The poor thing.
ReplyDeleteActually, rolling in the dirt. Yet another joke somewhere in there about how my day's going.
ReplyDeleteI've been trying to get my ass in gear, so to speak, in the last couple days. Stretched too thin, too many... just a lot and a lot I've chosen to let slide that I shouldn't simply because I want to be a mother to my children.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, yeah, yesterday I got a kind of kick in the ass (keeping with the theme) and rode that momentum for a while but I'm back to exhausted and unmotivated and meh.
Taking your ass... haha, I was going to finish that with "taking your ass post" but think it's funny to leave it as "taking your ass" as another nudge in the direction of actions I really need to take.
By the way, if you haven't already seen this, you might enjoy it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXJYkkxh0rk
Another thing that I've only told a couple people before (possibly one of those people was in a public forum) that in my life more than three people have said my writing "was like Hemingway" and your quote there is another one of those, jeez, that name keeps popping up all over the place, maybe I ought to read some. Is "A Farewell to Arms" a good place to start? (Not that I'll get to it for months...)
ReplyDeleteOne of his early novels, ca. 1930 or so, semi-autobiographical, set in WWI, telling the story of an American volunteering with the Italian army as an ambulance driver.
ReplyDeleteA lot of doomed romance and comparing the immediacy of personal disaster vs the impersonal machine of war/universal type disaster stuff scattered liberally throughout.
Sometimes almost feels like a writing class because every writing class ever uses him as an example of how to do stuff, or not - short, choppy style, simple intricacies in the fewest words possible, all that. Every writing student that has lived since about 1925 tries to write at least one Hemingway piece and all almost instantly finds out that getting away with breaking as many rules as he does is just fiendishly difficult, although he makes it look as simple as scribbling in a personal notebook.
It's genius, to use a too much used word.
Absolutely first rate, and some of his best writing, as far as I'm concerned. Ain't no comedy, though, and can get pretty friggin' grim...