"Quod Obstat Viae Fit Via"
(What Obstructs The Way Becomes The Way)
Friday, June 24, 2011
Indigo
Not so many comments this time - must have made it too long, too weird, or too - something. Time for a re-edit, doubtless. But I appreciate the ones I got - thanks, guys!
In Our Next Episode: Something political. Obama-related, I imagine.
What got me pretty much straight away about White Jazz was the way Mickey Cohen was introduced as a hook. From the get go it was character driven, --Lieutenant David D. Kline being the protagonist, the plot almost secondary but, of course, very necessary.
Subplot: Kline's obsession with a particular woman is woven through out.
Subplot 2. Junior, Kline's arch enemy and what happens there through out.
Politics, corruption, violence, the mob, prostitution, homosexuality and so on.
Can't read it all tonight cuz my eyes are hanging out. Will do, tomorrow. Keep up the good work though! You will win out in the end. I really like gritty spare prose. :)
Whoa. That moment where he would've killed the woman if he'd had a gun was powerful. Lots of powerful moments in this. I am so glad you're posting this stuff! I suspected you had this kind of thing in you. :-)
Being "not online" (at least a decrease of 95% or so) has me getting out the word processing software instead of the blog sites for writing. Only snippets, so far, but it's pretty cool how the cold air through my window last night had me up at 4am so I could write about what it felt like. Writing knowing no one will read it unless I do something with it is totally different than putting it "out there" online.
I'll check that out. It's funny because I've found myself using the Mac's "text edit" a lot more often than my Word-like software (open source, too, openoffice.org) for exactly those reasons. The fewer the distractions, the better.
I'm not sure what to do with myself, though, when I'm feeling the way I am at the moment. None of my outlets feel right or useful or effective.
Your "visual verification" is giving me a broken graphic. Grumble.
One of the best things you could do is get a good agent...that is if you haven't done so already. An agent can be 99% of the battle, from what I've heard.
What got me pretty much straight away about White Jazz was the way Mickey Cohen was introduced as a hook. From the get go it was character driven, --Lieutenant David D. Kline being the protagonist, the plot almost secondary but, of course, very necessary.
ReplyDeleteSubplot: Kline's obsession with a particular woman is woven through out.
Subplot 2. Junior, Kline's arch enemy and what happens there through out.
Politics, corruption, violence, the mob, prostitution, homosexuality and so on.
Can't read it all tonight cuz my eyes are hanging out. Will do, tomorrow. Keep up the good work though! You will win out in the end. I really like gritty spare prose. :)
Whoa. That moment where he would've killed the woman if he'd had a gun was powerful. Lots of powerful moments in this. I am so glad you're posting this stuff! I suspected you had this kind of thing in you. :-)
ReplyDeleteBeing "not online" (at least a decrease of 95% or so) has me getting out the word processing software instead of the blog sites for writing. Only snippets, so far, but it's pretty cool how the cold air through my window last night had me up at 4am so I could write about what it felt like. Writing knowing no one will read it unless I do something with it is totally different than putting it "out there" online.
I'll check that out. It's funny because I've found myself using the Mac's "text edit" a lot more often than my Word-like software (open source, too, openoffice.org) for exactly those reasons. The fewer the distractions, the better.
ReplyDeleteI'm not sure what to do with myself, though, when I'm feeling the way I am at the moment. None of my outlets feel right or useful or effective.
Your "visual verification" is giving me a broken graphic. Grumble.
I forgot - you're Mac. WriteMonkey is Windows...sorry about that. Try Ommwriter (http://www.ommwriter.com/en/free-download-mac.html).
ReplyDeleteThe windows version is probably my second favorite...
One of the best things you could do is get a good agent...that is if you haven't done so already. An agent can be 99% of the battle, from what I've heard.
ReplyDeleteHaven't been home long enough to have time to read much of anything this weekend. Sorry I missed it!
ReplyDelete