"Quod Obstat Viae Fit Via"
(What Obstructs The Way Becomes The Way)
Sunday, June 12, 2011
Thunder
Thanks for the feedback, guys. My ego is sated for the moment, so I can get on with doing something else for awhile. I'll probably put up something else before too long...we'll see.
In Our Next Episode: I replace this post with something useful.
Put it up during the wee hours last night, got up this morning and glanced at it, said "What the fuck were YOU thinking?" and edited about a half-dozen spots that stuck out like warts, almost pulled it back down, then left it -- apparently putting something where people can see it sharpens some editorial instincts that don't otherwise exist.
Hey, slow down, tiger. I read the whole thing and it's actually *very* *very* *good*. It reminds me, in a way that's spooky, of the Brian Aldiss book, "The Hand Reared Boy," which is about soldiers serving in Malaya just after the war and the romances conducted by the troops, the principal one being the romance of the main character and a local chinese woman.
Keep going with the fiction gig: You're capital G Good.
It's scary putting something so real, exposing, honest up there. Real, exposing, and honest in the sense that you're sharing something that you put effort into. No matter the content (compelling and beautiful story, by the way), I think the process of sharing it feels humiliating and terrifying even if the feedback is all good. I know me, and I'd end up replacing it (deleting it) but not because it's not good, just because it's so much having it "out there." Maybe you're more brave than I am. It'd be great if more people got a chance to read this. :-)
I just read a romance-thriller (gack, never doing that combo again!) by Nora Roberts, and your metaphors and noun choices for two people in love and doing it are far, far better than hers.
No, really. I actually got that this was about two people who care about each other and who are meant for each other. Who have respect for each other. N.R. did not give me that same satisfaction.
Put it up during the wee hours last night, got up this morning and glanced at it, said "What the fuck were YOU thinking?" and edited about a half-dozen spots that stuck out like warts, almost pulled it back down, then left it -- apparently putting something where people can see it sharpens some editorial instincts that don't otherwise exist.
ReplyDeleteProlly pull it down permanently in a bit...
Hey, slow down, tiger. I read the whole thing and it's actually *very* *very* *good*. It reminds me, in a way that's spooky, of the Brian Aldiss book, "The Hand Reared Boy," which is about soldiers serving in Malaya just after the war and the romances conducted by the troops, the principal one being the romance of the main character and a local chinese woman.
ReplyDeleteKeep going with the fiction gig: You're capital G Good.
It's scary putting something so real, exposing, honest up there. Real, exposing, and honest in the sense that you're sharing something that you put effort into. No matter the content (compelling and beautiful story, by the way), I think the process of sharing it feels humiliating and terrifying even if the feedback is all good. I know me, and I'd end up replacing it (deleting it) but not because it's not good, just because it's so much having it "out there." Maybe you're more brave than I am. It'd be great if more people got a chance to read this. :-)
ReplyDeletePowerful.
ReplyDeleteI just read a romance-thriller (gack, never doing that combo again!) by Nora Roberts, and your metaphors and noun choices for two people in love and doing it are far, far better than hers.
ReplyDeleteNo, really. I actually got that this was about two people who care about each other and who are meant for each other. Who have respect for each other. N.R. did not give me that same satisfaction.