Only 7000 to go. I'm beginning to think I'm going to make it.
I'm still dead-ass certain that I've written nothing of value, or at least not much, although there are some ideas in that pile that are, without putting too fine a point on it, "Oh HELL yeah!" good. Unfortunately, they are, including the idea summaries, only a very few pages each.
So, if the concept was to find a couple of nuggets that will keep me busy for about two months (a couple of them) or a year or so (one of them,) well, Mission Accomplished. But it's going to be awhile before I can get into them because even now, with only 7000 to go, I'm so fucking sick of these laptops and keyboards and collateral stuff that I'm ready to chuck it all into the next disposal crusher I happen to drive past.
Which I may not do, as I'm too close to the end to piss it away in a fit of anger.
Bet big money I don't write for awhile when I'm done, though.
Last night a friend and I discussed NaNoWriMo over a few tumblers of scotch. Her experience the one time she "won" was that by the end she thoroughly despised her characters and they in turn were arguing with her, directly, right through the wall.
ReplyDeleteThis year I gave up before Word One because I just couldn't enter a story-telling space. I think I need an environment that's safe enough I can fall into my imagination, and life is now manic enough I'm no longer able to fall. Gonna fix that, now that I see the problem. Best idea involves a thousand yards of concrete mix, three bales of barbed wire, four surplus machine guns, and an Arduino-based computer board from some hippy-dippy do-it-yourself yard sale for the automatic firing system.
Yeah, I know exactly what she meant. Mine has fallen off the rails and gone walkabout so much that it's devolved into a collection of randomness more-or-less tied together by the sole thread of my authorship of the shit rather than an even remotely coherent story.
ReplyDeleteGot some pretty good ideas out of it, though (note me talking past tense, like I'm done already.) But for me, the idea of non-censored, non-editor writing is REALLY good, but only for about two chapters. Then I have to go back and at least make some spelling and grammar edits, just so they'll stop poking me.
Also, I'm a lot more clear on why writing a novel usually takes years, and I again find myself bloodlust-jealous of Steven King and the late Asimov, both of whom can/could crank 'em out in a spare weekend. Assholes. (I'd so love to be that kind of asshole.)