Monday, November 18, 2013

All This Pushing, And I'm Finishing Up Right Where I Started...

But I'm getting there damned fast.


The final push. I’m going to be busy the entire last week of NaNo, and will be unable to write. Or if I’m able, it will be in minimal drips and drabs. Nothing, in other words.

Therefore, I have to finish NaNo this week, or at least before Monday of next week. That means I have to hammer out another (at this writing) 16,000 words before Sunday evening.

Fuuuuuccckkkk. As they say.

Everyone who hangs on my every word had just as well go out and find a real life. I think I may be busy for a bit here.

The short story that came to me the other day is about 3/4 hashed out into a .5 draft (which is to say, about 3/4 of the story is laid down, but it’s not even good enough to be counted as a first draft — just a flow of words describing action and dialogue and all that noise without any edits whatsoever. Very free flow/word association/psycho shit of zero redeeming value at the moment.)

I suppose I’m going to keep ramming away at that till I get the resolution worked out to suit me. I have at least three endings, so I’ll write them all, or at least poop ‘em out so I don’t forget them and so I get the word count.

Working like this is the weirdest thing I’ve ever done, and this is from a guy for whom weirdness is a simple fact of daily life. What remains to be seen is whether anything comes of it. Out of the 50K words I’ll be submitting, I’m guessing I’ll be DAMNED lucky if I get 5 - 10 pages worth salvaging for any purpose. But I WILL get my $20.00 off my full-edition Scrivener software. So, yay. Totally worth it, right?

And again, I wonder — I’m doing this WHY, exactly?

Oh, look! Over three hundred words right here! Only 15,700 to go!

No problem. Easy as a walk in the friggin' park…

4 comments:

  1. I'm leaving a comment even though I don't have one because I'm finally reading this on my computer instead of my phone so I CAN comment. Therefore, I am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took a week off due to illness and still feel harbl, but have begun writing again. I don't intend to finsh though and will be happy with 30K. Yay you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Serenebabe: Heh -- welcome back.

    Paula: Thanks! Feel better...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have just over 10,000 words to go and I am so goddamn miserable about this process I can't stand myself. The fact that this will bring me to finally finishing a first draft by the end of next week--and that some of it is even useful--is completely immaterial when you consider how often I look at my computer screen and give it the finger. I have 300 words to go to meet today's quota, so please excuse me. DAMMIT. UGH. (I'd probably do it again if I don't kill myself for saying that first.)

    ReplyDelete

Well, Don't Just Sit There -- Say Something!