Saturday, June 25, 2011

Tension, Apprehension, and Dissention Have Begun


Theme Song? Maybe - but this has been stuck in my head for two days. I don't know what it means. But why should I suffer alone?






In Our Next Episode: Another brainworm -- some "sticky" advertising from a science fiction novel I read a few years back ("The Demolished Man," by Bester). I don't remember much about it except the protagonist was using it to fill his brain so ESP sorts couldn't read him:
Eight, sir; seven, sir;
Six, sir; five, sir;
Four, sir; three, sir;
Two, sir; one!
Tenser, said the Tensor.
Tenser, said the Tensor.
Tension, apprehension,
And dissension have begun.

"I have some real tricks in that tune," Duffy said, still playing. "Notice the beat after 'one'? That's a semi-cadence. Then you get another beat after 'begun.' That turns the end of the song into a semi-cadence, too, so you can't ever end it. The beat keeps you running in circles, like: Tension, apprehension, and dissension have begun. RIFF. Tension, apprehension, and dissension have begun. RIFF. Tension, appre—"

"You little devil!" Reich started to his feet, pounding his palms on his ears. "I'm accursed. How long is this affliction going to last?"

"Not more than a month."
You're welcome.

3 comments:

  1. I tried listening at dialup speed --which will change back to normal at the end of the month...but I could only catch a snippet.

    Cool dog pic, tho :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dial up? Really? Where are you, like Mali, or Rwanda, or Detroit or something?

    Glad you're getting back to normal soon...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading that text with the counting thing was too difficult for me. Seriously. I wonder what that means. It had too many details.

    ReplyDelete

Well, Don't Just Sit There -- Say Something!